Flux induced in a circular loop

In summary, the conversation is about finding the flux in a circular loop with a radius of 1 m located 2 m away from an infinitely long current carrying wire. The formula for flux is Φ = ∫ B ds and the solution involves integrating ∫ uo I / π(2+y) *√(1-y2) since the magnetic field depends on both the x and y direction. The loop and wire are in the same plane and the integral for flux is Φ = ∫ uo I √(a2+y2) / (π (2a+y)) dy, but it is not clear how this integral was derived.
meaghan

Homework Statement

I have a circular loop with a radius of 1 m. The center of the loop is located 2 m away from a infinitely long current carrying wire, with ac current I. Find the flux in the circular loop

Homework Equations

Φ = ∫ B ds

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found a lot of examples with square loops, so the magnetic field in the loop will depend on both the x and y direction.
I got that Φ = ∫ uo I / π(2+y) *√(1-y2) since the magnetic field will change according to the point on the circle.

Physics news on Phys.org
A diagram is always helpful. From your statement, it is not clear if the circular loop and the long wire are in one plane.

upload_2017-10-29_14-5-4.png

it's all in one plane

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-29_14-5-4.png
    upload_2017-10-29_14-5-4.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 342
How did you write the integral for the flux?

Chandra Prayaga said:
How did you write the integral for the flux?
Φ = ∫ uo I √(a2+y2) / (π (2a+y)) dy

My question was, do you know how that integral was derived?

What is flux?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a physical quantity through a given surface. In the context of electromagnetism, it refers to the flow of the electric or magnetic field through a surface.

How is flux induced in a circular loop?

Flux can be induced in a circular loop by either a changing magnetic field passing through the loop, or by moving the loop through a magnetic field. This results in a change in the magnetic flux through the loop, which in turn induces an electromotive force (EMF) and creates a current in the loop.

What is the relationship between flux and induced EMF?

The induced EMF in a loop is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop. This means that a larger change in flux will result in a larger induced EMF.

How does the direction of the magnetic field affect flux induction?

The direction of the magnetic field relative to the loop will determine the direction of the induced current. If the magnetic field is increasing, the induced current will flow in one direction, and if the magnetic field is decreasing, the induced current will flow in the opposite direction.

What is Lenz's law and how does it relate to flux induction?

Lenz's law states that the direction of the induced current will always oppose the change in magnetic flux that caused it. This means that if the magnetic field is increasing, the induced current will create a magnetic field in the opposite direction to try and cancel out the change in flux. This law helps to explain the direction of induced currents in a circular loop.