Direction of friction in the circular motion of a car

In summary, the car has a centripetal force due to the weight of the banked track. The friction opposes the relative motion of the car and the wheels to provide a stable motion.
sbhit2001

Homework Statement

Why does friction act towards the center when a car does uniform circular motion by itself.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that centripetal force is needed to move an object in a centre and so there should be a force acting towards the center in the circular motion of the car. But I had also read that friction opposes the relative motion of 2 surfaces and so I think that friction should always act opposite to the tangential velocity of the car. For example, when i move a car linearly the friction opposes its linear velocity. Please help me and tell me why does friction act towards the center?

Physics news on Phys.org
But I had also read that friction opposes the relative motion of 2 surfaces
That is sliding friction - and even there, it is just a useful approximation. Static friction can act in different directions, too.

For example, when i move a car linearly the friction opposes its linear velocity.
Using the same example, you can use static friction to accelerate a car (that is how cars usually accelerate).

mfb said:
That is sliding friction - and even there, it is just a useful approximation. Static friction can act in different directions, too.

Using the same example, you can use static friction to accelerate a car (that is how cars usually accelerate).

Can you please explain a bit more. What type of friction is this? i know only 2 types of friction -static and dynamic...

you need to turn the front wheels to turn.
What will this do to the direction of the friction force?
(On a 'banked' track you do not need to turn the front wheels, how does the centripetal force arise in this case?)

sliding = kinetic = dynamic friction

technician said:
you need to turn the front wheels to turn.
What will this do to the direction of the friction force?
(On a 'banked' track you do not need to turn the front wheels, how does the centripetal force arise in this case?)

On a banked track, I think that the horizontal component of the weight of the car will act as the centripetal force. I think that when the wheels of the car are turned the force which pushes the car will tend to make the wheels skid and so maybe the friction will act in the center to prevent the sliding motion of the wheel and provide the centripetal force for the motion of the car. I think that when the wheel of the car is in the turned state, the force on the car would have 2 componants, one along the wheel and one perpendicular to it. Would the friction also cancel the perpendicular component in addition to providing the centripetal force? Am I correct?

you have produced a pretty good description of the important points.
One small criticism...the WEIGHT of the car does not have a horizontal component ! It is the force of the banked track on the car that produces the horizontal component that is the centripetal force.
Can you draw a force diagram to show the forces acting on the car?

1. What is the direction of friction in the circular motion of a car?

The direction of friction in the circular motion of a car depends on the direction of the car's motion and the force causing the circular motion. If the car is moving in a clockwise direction and the force causing the circular motion is towards the center of the circle, then the direction of friction will be towards the outside of the circle. If the car is moving counterclockwise and the force causing the circular motion is towards the center of the circle, then the direction of friction will be towards the inside of the circle.

2. Why is friction important in the circular motion of a car?

Friction is important in the circular motion of a car because it provides the necessary force to keep the car moving in a circular path. Without friction, the car would continue moving in a straight line rather than following the curved path. Friction also helps to slow down and control the speed of the car as it travels around the circular path.

3. How does the direction of friction affect the handling of a car in a curve?

The direction of friction can greatly affect the handling of a car in a curve. If the direction of friction is towards the outside of the curve, the car will tend to slide outwards and may lose control. If the direction of friction is towards the inside of the curve, the car will tend to stay on the curved path and have better control. It is important for drivers to understand the direction of friction in order to safely navigate curves.

4. Can friction be overcome in circular motion?

Friction can be overcome in circular motion by increasing the force causing the circular motion. This can be achieved by increasing the speed of the car or by applying additional force through the use of brakes or acceleration. However, friction is always present and will ultimately limit the speed and control of the car in circular motion.

5. How does the surface of the road affect the direction of friction in the circular motion of a car?

The surface of the road can greatly affect the direction of friction in the circular motion of a car. A rough or uneven surface can create more friction and cause the car to slow down or lose control in a curve. A smooth surface, on the other hand, can reduce friction and allow the car to maintain a higher speed and smoother path in a curve. Different road surfaces may also have different coefficients of friction, which can affect the direction of friction in circular motion.