Direction of rotation of moment

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
goldfish9776
Messages
310
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


IMO , the M2 and M1 should rotate clockwise, and the moment should point downwards based on right hand grip rule . Why the book gave in in other way ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Attachments
  • DSC_0078.JPG
    DSC_0078.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 427
  • DSC_0079.JPG
    DSC_0079.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you are supposed to take the arrow directions as accurate. They are merely indicating which entities are forces and which are couples.
 
haruspex said:
I don't think you are supposed to take the arrow directions as accurate. They are merely indicating which entities are forces and which are couples.
you mean the author just simply give the direction of moment ?
 
goldfish9776 said:
you mean the author just simply give the direction of moment ?
No, I'm saying that the author did not care about being consistent. It was not relevant to the point being made.