Directional derivatives and the gradient vector

In summary, a directional derivative is a measure of the rate of change of a function in a particular direction, calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient vector and a unit vector in the specified direction. The gradient vector is a vector that points in the direction of the greatest rate of change of a function at a given point, with its magnitude representing the steepness of the function in that direction. It is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and arranging them as components of a vector. The gradient vector can be thought of as a collection of all possible directional derivatives of a function at a given point, with each component representing the rate of change in a specific direction. These concepts are used in various real-world
BondKing
If the unit vector u makes an angle theta with the positive x-axis then we can write u = <cos theta, sin theta>

Duf(x, y) = fx(x,y) cos theta + fy(x,y) sin theta

What if I am dealing with a function with three variables (x, y, z)?

How can I find the directional derivative if I have been given an angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
In three dimensions, a unit vector will be distinguished by 2 angles. It could be a polar angle ##\theta## and an azimuthal angle ##\phi## or some other two numbers to define a direction (sometimes the designation is flipped). In spherical polar coordinates a unit vector will be ##\hat{u}=(\sin\phi\cos\theta,\sin\phi\cos\phi,\sin\phi)##

How should I approach this question?

Find the directional derivative of f(x,y,z)=xz+y2 at the point (3,1,2) in the direction of a vector making an angle of −π/4 with ∇f(3,1,2).

I found the gradient to be <2,2,3>

I don't understand what it means: "a vector making an angle of −π/4 with ∇f(3,1,2)."? In 3-D space, there are an infinity of vectors making a specific angle with respect to another vector...they form a cone.

Matterwave said:
I don't understand what it means: "a vector making an angle of −π/4 with ∇f(3,1,2)."? In 3-D space, there are an infinity of vectors making a specific angle with respect to another vector...they form a cone.

Is there a way to obtain a vector (out of many)?

You do not have to think about angles to understand the idea of a directional derivative. Let x and v be in Rn, v be a unit vector and t in R . The directional derivative of f at a in the direction v is just the derivative of the single variable function h(t) = f(a + tv) at t=0 (that is h'(0) ).

This gives the definition of the directional derivative without discussing the gradient. And in fact some directional derivatives can exist without f having a defined gradient. Say f is differentible with respect to x but not with respect to y. However if f is differentible then the direction derivative of f at a in the direction v is grad(f)(a)*v.

Given function f(x, y, z), with gradient [itex]\nabla f[/itex], we can talk about the "directional derivative" in the direction of unit vector [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] as the dot product: [itex]\nabla f\cdot \vec{v}[/itex].

In three dimensions, a direction cannot be specified by a single angle. We need two angles such as the "[itex]\theta[/itex]" and "[itex]\phi[/itex]" used in spherical coordinates. Or we can use the "direction cosines", the cosines of the angles the direction makes with the three coordinate axes: [itex]\theta_x[/itex] is the angle a line in the given direction makes with the x-axis, [itex]\theta_y[/itex] the angle it makes with the y-axis, and [itex]\theta_z[/itex], the angle it makes with the z-axis. Of course, those three angles are not idependent. We can show that we must have [itex]cos^2(\theta_x)+ cos^2(\theta_y)+ cos^2(\theta_z)= 1[/itex] which means that the vector [itex] cos(\theta_x)\vec{i}+ cos(\theta_y)\vec{j}+ cos(\theta_z)\vec{k}[/itex] is the unit vector in that direction.

That is, the "directional derivative" of f(x, y, z) in the direction that makes angles [itex]\theta_x[/itex], [itex]\theta_y[/itex], and [itex]\theta_z[/itex] with the x, y, and z axes, respectively, is given by [itex]\nabla f\cdot (cos(\theta_x)\vec{i}+ cos(\theta_y)\vec{j}+ cos(\theta_z)\vec{k})= f_x cos(\theta_x)+ f_y cos(\theta_y)+ f_z cos(\theta_z)[/itex].

What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of the rate of change of a function in a particular direction. It is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient vector and a unit vector in the specified direction.

What is the gradient vector?

The gradient vector is a vector that points in the direction of the greatest rate of change of a function at a given point. Its magnitude represents the steepness of the function in that direction.

How is the gradient vector calculated?

The gradient vector is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and arranging them as components of a vector. For example, if the function is f(x,y) = x^2 + 3y, the gradient vector would be ∇f = [2x, 3].

What is the relationship between directional derivatives and the gradient vector?

The gradient vector can be thought of as a collection of all possible directional derivatives of a function at a given point. Each component of the gradient vector represents the rate of change of the function in a specific direction.

How are directional derivatives and the gradient vector used in real-world applications?

Directional derivatives and the gradient vector are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are particularly useful in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. The gradient vector can also be used to find the direction of steepest ascent or descent for a given function.