Directions of (electro)magnetic fields/application of right hand rule

In summary, the right-hand rule states that the direction of the electric field at a point is determined by the direction of the magnetic field at that point. The diagram shows that the electric field is pointing down at the point shown.
chris69
Hello everyone,

I have two different problems from webassign homework that I could use some clarification with; as stated in the title, I'm having trouble applying the right hand rule in both. Since the basis of my difficulties are the same, I hope it's okay to include both problems in the same thread. Here's how I've learned the right hand rule, I'm hoping it's correct:

Thumb = Direction of electric charge/current/velocity vector/propagation of wave
Fingers, pointed outward forming a 90° angle with thumb = Direction of magnetic field vector
Palm, facing outward = Direction of Lorentz force vector/electric field

Homework Statement

1.) A 2.10 m length of wire is held in an east-west direction and moves horizontally to the north with a speed of 15.3 m/s. The vertical component of Earth's magnetic field in this region is 40.0 µT directed downward. Calculate the induced emf between the ends of the wire and determine which end is positive.

2.) Consider an electromagnetic wave traveling in the positive y-direction. The magnetic field associated with the wave at some location at some instant points in the negative x-direction as shown in the figure below. What is the direction of the electric field at this position and at this instant?

Figure: https://www.webassign.net/sercp9/21-mcq-001.gif

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

#1. The answer to the bolded part of the question is the west end is positive. The wire is moving upwards, so my thumb goes upwards. Since the magnetic force of the Earth is going downward, I would think I would point my fingers downward, but since this is not anatomically possible does downward entail pointing my fingers in the negative direction on the z-axis/fingers into the screen? Thus, my palm would be facing west, and the west end is positive. Is my understanding right here?

#2. The answer is the negative z-direction. Thumb goes to the right on the y-axis in direction of the propagation vector (c), B-field/fingers goes into the screen in the negative x direction, and so my palm is facing up in the positive z-direction...However, this is not the answer. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
chris69 said:
Hello everyone,

I have two different problems from webassign homework that I could use some clarification with; as stated in the title, I'm having trouble applying the right hand rule in both. Since the basis of my difficulties are the same, I hope it's okay to include both problems in the same thread. Here's how I've learned the right hand rule, I'm hoping it's correct:

Thumb = Direction of electric charge/current/velocity vector/propagation of wave
Fingers, pointed outward forming a 90° angle with thumb = Direction of magnetic field vector
Palm, facing outward = Direction of Lorentz force vector/electric field

Homework Statement

1.) A 2.10 m length of wire is held in an east-west direction and moves horizontally to the north with a speed of 15.3 m/s. The vertical component of Earth's magnetic field in this region is 40.0 µT directed downward. Calculate the induced emf between the ends of the wire and determine which end is positive.

In this case I prefer to think of the physics of the situation:

Think of a positive free charge in the wire. There is a force F = qv x B applied to that charge. So that charge will bunch up in the + end of the wire.

So, setting up a coordinate system with x east, y north, and disregarding magnitudes,
v = j
B = -k
F = j x -k = -i

I don't think the right-hand rule is particularly illuminating in determining emf direction. It depends on memorizing a formula. Anyway, your answer is correct.

2.) Consider an electromagnetic wave traveling in the positive y-direction. The magnetic field associated with the wave at some location at some instant points in the negative x-direction as shown in the figure below. What is the direction of the electric field at this position and at this instant?

Again, I would resort to algebra:
you know that the poynting vectror is
P = E x H.

So let the unknown E field unit vector be labeled ζ.

Then, j = ζ x -i
which is satisfied if
ζ = -k.

So yes, your answer is wrong. It's pointing downward.

I ralize this doesn't help you understand the right-hand rule, but there is nothing sacred about it. And it involves memorizing extra formulas. If you use unit vectors you can't miss!

thank you very much! that makes understanding the direction of the vectors simpler.

for the second problem, I'd like some clarification on what your notation symbols represent. j represents the vector moving in the positive y-direction correct? and i is the magnetic field in the negative x-direction? Also, are P and H synonymous with the c and B vectors (as denoted in the figure) so c = E X B?

thanks again!

i, j and k are the unit vectors in the +x, +y and +z directions respectively.

In your figure, B points in the -i direction and c points in the +j direction.

chris69 said:
thank you very much! that makes understanding the direction of the vectors simpler.

for the second problem, I'd like some clarification on what your notation symbols represent. j represents the vector moving in the positive y-direction correct? and i is the magnetic field in the negative x-direction? Also, are P and H synonymous with the c and B vectors (as denoted in the figure) so c = E X B?

thanks again!

j points, does not necessarily move, in the +y direction.

And i points in the +x, not -x, direction.

You should review how the unit vectors behave as you take cross-products of any two of them to get the third. For example, understand that i x -j = -k, k x -i = -j etc.

What is the direction of an electromagnetic field?

The direction of an electromagnetic field can be determined by using the right hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current and curl your fingers. The direction in which your fingers curl represents the direction of the magnetic field.

How does the right hand rule apply to electromagnetism?

The right hand rule is a method used to determine the direction of an electromagnetic field. It states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, the direction in which your fingers curl represents the direction of the magnetic field.

What is the purpose of using the right hand rule in electromagnetism?

The right hand rule is used to determine the direction of an electromagnetic field, which is important in understanding the behavior of electricity and magnetism. It is also used in various applications, such as designing electric motors and generators.

Can the right hand rule be used for both electric and magnetic fields?

Yes, the right hand rule can be used to determine the direction of both electric and magnetic fields. The thumb represents the direction of the current in an electric field, while the fingers represent the direction of the magnetic field in a magnetic field.

Is the right hand rule always accurate in determining the direction of an electromagnetic field?

While the right hand rule is a useful tool in determining the direction of an electromagnetic field, it is not always accurate. In some cases, the left hand rule may be more appropriate, depending on the orientation of the current and magnetic field. It is important to understand the underlying principles and use the appropriate rule for each situation.