Disadvantages of being in the second wave for admissions?

In summary, it sounds like you may be able to get your application evaluated in the second session if you were relatively late in finishing the application. However, being in the second group might give you some disadvantage.
pdm0118
Hello,

I've applied for our university's medical physics program before its first deadline, Feb 1st. Since I've finished the application, I have been relaxing and waiting for the results.

Today I found that I was supposed to fill out a secondary "supplemental" application, which asked exactly same questions as the first application did.

And because of not finishing that, I am late for the first admission review. Is this going to affect my possibility to get admitted?

I should mention that the grad school is rather competitive and I am more like an average student.Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It can be extremely frustrating missing things like this.

Your best bet is to contact the department and ask them how to proceed. Generally speaking, missing a deadline is not good, but I don't know what's meant by a first or second deadline. Some programs will have different timelines for international students. If you fit into the applicable group for the second deadline you might be okay.

Choppy said:
It can be extremely frustrating missing things like this.

Your best bet is to contact the department and ask them how to proceed. Generally speaking, missing a deadline is not good, but I don't know what's meant by a first or second deadline. Some programs will have different timelines for international students. If you fit into the applicable group for the second deadline you might be okay.

Thanks for the reply.

It seems that our school's graduate admission review is consist of two separate sessions, or 'waves'. So students that finished the applications relatively early get to have their application evaluated earlier at the first session, and relatively late students will be evaluated in the second half.

I have contacted the department and It seems that my application is still eligible for the second evaluation session, but I wonder if being in the second group would give me any kind of disadvantage..

1. What exactly is the "second wave" for admissions?

The second wave for admissions refers to the group of students who apply to a college or university after the initial round of admissions decisions have been made. This is typically during the late winter or spring months.

2. What are the disadvantages of being in the second wave for admissions?

The main disadvantage is that there may be fewer spots available for students who apply in the second wave. Many colleges have already filled a majority of their spots during the first round of admissions, so there may be limited space for second wave applicants.

3. Are there any benefits to being in the second wave for admissions?

One potential benefit is that there may be more financial aid and scholarship opportunities available for second wave applicants. Additionally, if a student's application is stronger than those who were accepted during the first round, they may have a better chance of being accepted during the second wave.

4. How can I improve my chances of being accepted if I am in the second wave for admissions?

To improve your chances, make sure to submit a strong and complete application. This includes having a well-written personal statement, strong letters of recommendation, and a competitive GPA and test scores. You can also consider reaching out to the admissions office to express your continued interest in the school.

5. Is it better to apply during the first wave or the second wave for admissions?

It ultimately depends on the individual and their circumstances. If a student feels confident in their application and is able to submit it during the first wave, that may increase their chances of being accepted. However, if a student needs more time to strengthen their application, it may be better to wait and apply during the second wave.