Disassociative drugs and cognitive development

In summary, the conversation is about someone's experience with dextromethorphan, a drug they were experimenting with. They had a psychotic break while on the drug and experienced positive memories, loss of depression, increased energy, and a desire to learn. They are asking if there are any current studies on dextromethorphan and synaptic firing. The thread was temporarily closed for moderation but then re-opened with a reminder to speak to a doctor for medical advice.
TygerRose
Gold Member
I'm not sure if this isn't the correct forum; but I recently was experimenting with dextromethorphan; and while on the drug, I had a psychotic break. All of a sudden I have retained positive memories from childhood, lost all depression, have incredible amount of excessive energy, and have the desire to learn and further my education. Does anyone know of any current studies of dextromethorphan and synaptic firing??

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

TygerRose said:
I'm not sure if this isn't the correct forum; but I recently was experimenting with dextromethorphan; and while on the drug, I had a psychotic break. All of a sudden I have retained positive memories from childhood, lost all depression, have incredible amount of excessive energy, and have the desire to learn and further my education. Does anyone know of any current studies of dextromethorphan and synaptic firing??
Thread re-opened temporarily.

Please talk to your doctor about this. We cannot provide any medical advice here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextromethorphan

1. What are disassociative drugs and how do they affect cognitive development?

Disassociative drugs are a class of psychoactive substances that cause a temporary disruption or disconnection between a person's thoughts, feelings, and perception of their environment. These drugs can have various effects on cognitive development, including impairing memory, attention, and decision-making abilities.

2. Can disassociative drugs cause long-term changes in cognitive functioning?

Yes, research has shown that chronic use of disassociative drugs can lead to long-term changes in cognitive functioning, including deficits in memory, attention, and executive functioning. These changes may persist even after the individual has stopped using the drug.

3. Are there any benefits to using disassociative drugs for cognitive development?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that disassociative drugs have any benefits for cognitive development. In fact, they are more likely to have negative effects and can even increase the risk of developing mental health disorders.

4. At what age can disassociative drug use impact cognitive development?

The brain continues to develop until the mid-20s, so any use of disassociative drugs during this period can potentially impact cognitive development. However, the effects may be more severe if the drug use occurs during critical periods of brain development, such as adolescence.

5. Can the negative effects of disassociative drugs on cognitive development be reversed?

The extent to which the negative effects of disassociative drugs on cognitive development can be reversed is not fully understood. Some studies have shown that certain cognitive functions may improve with abstinence from the drug, while others suggest that there may be long-term impairments. More research is needed to fully understand the potential for recovery from disassociative drug use on cognitive development.