1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discharging Capacitor answer check

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have finished this and gotten an answer, but I have no solutions on hand and would like to see if anyone else gets the same answer :]

A 2-nF capacitor with an initial charge of 5.1 microCoulombs is discharged through a 1.3- kiloOhm resistor.

(a) Calculatue the current in the resistor 9 microseconds after the resistor is connected acorss the terminals of the capacitor.
    (b) What charge remains on the capacitor after 8 microseconds?

2. Relevant equations

I(t) = - Q/RC(e^(-t/RC))
    q(t) = Qe^-t/RC

3. The attempt at a solution

(A) Find the current through the resistor. So I differentiated equation one to get

I = Q (e^(-t/RC)
    = 0.16 microAmperes...

(B) Differentiate so
    q = (-Q)(-RC) (e^(-t/RC))
    = 6.11 E -11 C

My answers seem way too small to me. So my question is, was I supposed to differentiate?? Forgive my ignorance, but what does I(t) mean? Is it the same as dI/dt? Also, if I do not differentiate the question seems exceedingly simple (it's worth 10 marks.) Is there something in my process that I am over-simplifying?

Thanks so much to everyone in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2
    I(t) stands for the current I at t seconds. and Q/RC is the initial current I(o).If you ln your equation you get
    lnI=lnI(o)-t/RC

4. Oct 10, 2009 #3

ideasrule

Homework Helper

I don't get why it's necessary to differentiate, ln, use the logarithm rules, or do anything else. You have a formula for I:

I = Q (e^(-t/RC)

and the question asks for I. Just plug in the numbers. Similarly, you have a formula for q:

q(t) = Qe^-t/RC

and the question asks for q. Plug in the numbers.

5. Oct 10, 2009 #4
    True, just plug in the numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook