What does "Fully Charged Capacitor" mean?

In summary, a capacitor is considered fully charged when it is holding as much charge as theoretically possible. In the given equation, the charge on the capacitor will never reach exactly Q = CV, only when the time goes to infinity. The reason the capacitor in the attached file is considered fully charged immediately after closing the switch is because there is no resistance (R = 0) so e^-t/RC goes to 0. However, in real-world examples, there will always be some resistance and inductance that will limit the charging time of the capacitor.
Kosta1234
Homework Statement
Charged Capacitor
Relevant Equations
-
Why when a capacitor is fully charged the circuit is acting like an open circuit?
And what is the meaning of "fully charged", if the charge as a function of time equation is:
$$ Q = CV_b [1 - e^{\frac{t}{RC}}] $$
so by this equation the charge on the capacitor will never reach exactly, Q = CV, only when the time goes to infinity.Edit:
Mayble I should be more precise, why in the following question the current to the right side of the circuit is stopping immediately after the capacitor is charged (In the answer it have been said that the capacitor is fully charged immediately after closing the switch),
If there was a resistor in the right side of the circuit, could I've also say that the capacitor is fully charged immediately?

immediately
thank you.

Attachments

• UNTITILED.jpg
    UNTITILED.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 226
Physics news on Phys.org
By fully charged it is meant that for all intents and purposes you can consider it holding as much charge as theoretically possible. After a time of about 15 time constants i.e., 15RC there is only enough "room" for less than 1 millionth more charge.

okay, thanks.

And the reason that the capacitor in the attached file is fully charged
immediately after closing the switch is because there is no resistence (R = 0) so ## e^{-\frac{t}{RC}} ## goes to 0?

And the circuit on this case is considered open because that the voltage on the Electromotive force and the capacitor is the same?

Kosta1234 said:
And the reason that the capacitor in the attached file is fully charged
immediately after closing the switch is because there is no resistence (R = 0) so e−tRC e^{-\frac{t}{RC}} goes to 0?
I guess so. It's not a very good real-world example. Even if the wires have negligible resistance, there will be parasitic inductance in the current loop that will limit the current and cause ringing of the voltage. The power source also cannot have zero output impedance in the real world.

Kosta1234 said:
And the circuit on this case is considered open because that the voltage on the Electromotive force and the capacitor is the same?
Yes, the capacitor will only charge up to the output voltage of the voltage source.

Thanks.

Likes berkeman
Kosta1234 said:
Problem Statement: Charged Capacitor
Relevant Equations: -

Edit:
Maybe I should be more precise, why in the following question the current to the right side of the circuit is stopping immediately after the capacitor is charged (In the answer it have been said that the capacitor is fully charged immediately after closing the switch),
If there was a resistor in the right side of the circuit, could I've also say that the capacitor is fully charged immediately?

thank you.
Please give the problem completely, as it was stated to you. That would help use to be able explain.

Given your question regarding some of the wording in the problem as well as in the "official" solution, I could hazard some guesses as to what is meant, however, that may not be sufficient to clear up the confusion.

Kosta1234 said:
Problem Statement: Charged Capacitor
Relevant Equations: -

No, it would take time because the resistor limits the current. In the real world there will always be some resistance and inductance to prevent the capacitor from charging instantaneously. Eventually the capacitor will equal the battery voltage, and at that point no current will flow.

1. What is a fully charged capacitor?

A fully charged capacitor is an electrical component that has reached its maximum capacity to store electric charge. It is able to store this charge due to the separation of positive and negative charges on its two plates.

2. How does a capacitor become fully charged?

A capacitor becomes fully charged when a voltage source, such as a battery, is connected to it. The voltage source causes an electric current to flow, which charges the capacitor until it reaches its maximum capacity.

3. What happens to a capacitor once it is fully charged?

Once a capacitor is fully charged, it stops accepting any more charge and becomes stable. The voltage across the capacitor remains constant, while the current flow stops.

4. Why is it important to know if a capacitor is fully charged?

Knowing if a capacitor is fully charged is important because it can affect the performance and safety of electronic devices. Overcharging a capacitor can cause it to overheat or even explode, while not charging it enough can lead to malfunctioning of the device.

5. How can I determine if a capacitor is fully charged?

You can determine if a capacitor is fully charged by using a multimeter to measure the voltage across it. Once the voltage stops increasing, the capacitor is considered fully charged. Alternatively, you can also use a resistor and measure the time it takes for the capacitor to discharge, as a fully charged capacitor will take longer to discharge.