What computer is in this 1984 photo?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Computer
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
48 replies · 6K views
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Messages
24,114
Reaction score
3,277
This is me, 9 months pregnant with the Spawn. What computer is that? The year is 1984. I know I had a Commodore 64 with a large monitor (in orange). What is this?

spawncomputer6hq.jpg
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a computer there? All I saw were some legs :-p
 
mattmns said:
There's a computer there? All I saw were some legs :-p
Aw...free GOOBF card for mattmns. :smile:
 
cyrusabdollahi said:
Does that white bit say IBM?
I can't tell what it says. I'll bet it's somewhere in my basement.

I had a Compaq, but it was a laptop. It came with a hand crank and optional hamster wheel.
 
Looks like an IBM to me,

ibm5155.jpg


They were the power house back in the day.
 
Evo said:
I can't tell what it says. I'll bet it's somewhere in my basement.

I had a Compaq, but it was a laptop. It came with a hand crank and optional hamster wheel.

hey, you got it!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/CompaqPortable.jpg

It is a compaq! And here I was searching oscilloscopes...:rolleyes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Notice the size of the box of floppies?
 
cyrusabdollahi said:
hey, you got it!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/CompaqPortable.jpg

It is a compaq! And here I was searching oscilloscopes...:rolleyes:
OMG! That's it!

Ok, I now have to give cyrus anything he wants.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
OMG! That's it!

Ok, I know have to give cyrus anything he wants.

According to wiki, that bad boy cost $2999 bucks new in 83!

It's a good thing computer prices have gone down :rolleyes:
 
Is it a museum piece? :smile: http://www.vintage-computer.com/compaq_portable.shtml

:smile: It's a "portable" computer. :smile:
 
Last edited:
I first thought it was the fine machine called the Apple Lisa:

apple1_00.jpg
 
cyrusabdollahi said:
According to wiki, that bad boy cost $2999 bucks new in 83!

It's a good thing computer prices have gone down :rolleyes:
Yep, it wasn't cheap. I bought it in 83. But I could type recipes into it. :bugeye:
 
yomamma said:
I first thought it was the fine machine called the Apple Lisa:

apple1_00.jpg

:smile: For some reason that made me bust out in laughter! :smile:

Oh man, your killing me...

I always knew Lisa! was evil!

The mouse has ONE button! :smile: ohhh my goodness...what a POS...
 
Evo said:
Yep, it wasn't cheap. I bought it in 83. But I could type recipes into it. :bugeye:

Yeah, but this was before the internet!

What did you use it for? It probably had word processing and that's about it.
 
cyrusabdollahi said:
Yeah, but this was before the internet!

What did you use it for? It probably had word processing and that's about it.
:frown: :redface: Word processing.

Well, there were billboards back then , if you knew how to connect.
 
Hey, I was on the bleeding edge of technology.
 
When Tim Berners-Lee gave the world his www adressing, that started the internet. That was in 1993, If I am not mistaken.
 
In 1993 I also bought a Pckard Bell multi media computer that allowed me to plug my cable tv cord in and record cable tv shows. And I bought Myst and another very cool program I can't remember with a dragon that was hidden.
 
Evo said:
In 1993 I also bought a Pckard Bell multi media computer that allowed me to plug my cable tv cord in and record cable tv shows. And I bought Myst and another very cool program I can't remember with a dragon that was hidden.


:smile: What was the record time, 5min before your 1GB hard drive was full? :smile:

The dark ages :devil:
 
cyrusabdollahi said:
:smile: What was the record time, 5min before your 1GB hard drive was full? :smile:

The dark ages :devil:
1 Gb was unheard of. :redface:
 
lol our first computer ran on windows 98 and I told my parents it sucked but they woudln't listen to me
 
mattmns said:
There's a computer there? All I saw were some legs :-p


i was thinking of those legs on way from work and mattmns beats me to it, they are a 10 out of 10 on the wollie wow factor.:!)
 
wolram said:
i was thinking of those legs on way from work and mattmns beats me to it, they are a 10 out of 10 on the wollie wow factor.:!)
Awwww, a GOOBF card for you too wolram. :smile:
 
Evo said:
Is it a museum piece? :smile: http://www.vintage-computer.com/compaq_portable.shtml

:smile: It's a "portable" computer. :smile:
I still have an original 1.1 Dos disk for one of those compaqs. :smile:
 
Evo said:
Awwww, a GOOBF card for you too wolram. :smile:

Any up to date pics:rolleyes: :biggrin:
 
Evo said:
1 Gb was unheard of. :redface:
Not entirely. I had a .5 gig, I bought used for around $300 back then.
IIRC a new 1Gig disk was about $1500 in 93 and $10,000 in 85.

PS: Nice legs
 
NoTime said:
PS: Nice legs
Thanks, I've always been told that.