Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Discovery shakes up QM (or not...)

1. Sep 2, 2016 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2016 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm more curious on why you think this ".. may mean a paradigm shift in QM..."? Why is this surprising after previous experiments using the same weak-measurement technique that have produced similar conclusion? See S. Kocsis et al., Science v.332, p.1170 (2011). We may even have several threads on this topic already on here.

Zz.

4. Sep 2, 2016 #3
    I only understand the second link, not the paper. The second link speaks of simplification of QM and nonlocal realism confirmed, as I understand.

5. Sep 2, 2016 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The "second link" was written by whom? Is it a reliable source? Has it reported it without overblowing and dramatizing the impact to make it sexier, like most news reports are apt to do?

Zz.

6. Sep 2, 2016 #5
    Probably not.

7. Sep 2, 2016 #6
    I found several earlier similar news items indeed. But what is the 'significance' of this? Does it have none?

8. Sep 2, 2016 #7

Strilanc

Science Advisor

Your first link is to the paper. They do an experiment and talk about pilot-wave and how the two relate and how it demonstrates the resolution to what was an apparent paradox:

They're clearly fans of pilot-wave, but they're appropriately careful to note that all other interpretations of QM give the same predictions:

So the paper is fine.

Your second link is a pop-science article. It's a waste of time. There's a sprinkling of facts, but it's laced with unjustified high-level assertions like:

Which is just straight up wrong about the content of the paper.

9. Sep 2, 2016 #8
    I wonder what the experiment has demonstrated then...

10. Sep 2, 2016 #9

Demystifier

Science Advisor

It has demonstrated that, for entangled particles, Bohmian particle trajectories correspond to something real. But it does not provide evidence that Bohmian interpretation is correct. They have measured only "average" trajectories of a large ensemble of particles, while Bohmian interpretation claims much more, that even individual particles have those trajectories.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted