1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete 3-particle system - Condensed Matter Pysics

1. Sep 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and givenknown data
    We have a system of three atoms arranged in a circular arrangements. They each have a valence electron that can tunnel to the nearest neighbor. For a tunneling rate [itex]-A/\hbar[/itex] we have the Hamiltonian (shifted by an energy [itex]E_a[/itex] on the diagonal)
    [tex]
    H = \begin{pmatrix}
    0 & -A & -A\\
    -A & 0 & -A\\
    -A & -A & 0
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]
    which eigenvalues [itex]-2|A|[/itex] corresponding to the eigenstate (1,1,1) and degenerated eigenvalues [itex]A[/itex] corresponding to eigenstates (-1,0,1) and (-1,1,0). Since we have translational invariance, [itex]p[/itex] is a good quantum number, hence [itex][H,p]=0[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]H[/itex] can be diagonalized simultaneously. Assuming plane wave solutions [itex]\psi_n \sim \mathrm{e}^{ikn}[/itex] we get from boundary conditions that [itex]k = 2/3 \pi N[/itex] for [itex]N \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex]. Now, the three lowest cases are [itex]k=0[/itex] and [itex]k= \pm 2/3 \pi[/itex]. [itex]k=0[/itex] corresponds to the eigenvalue [itex]-2|A|[/itex] since for [itex]k=0[/itex] we have [itex]\psi_1=\psi_2=\psi_3=1[/itex], i.e. the electrons are evenly distributed over the three atoms. The other two cases give the following linear combinations:
    [itex]k=2/3 \pi[/itex]: [tex]|\psi_2 \rangle + (-1/2 -i \sqrt{3}/2)|\psi_3 \rangle[/tex]
    [itex]k=-2/3 \pi[/itex]: [tex]|\psi_2 \rangle + (-1/2 +i \sqrt{3}/2)|\psi_3 \rangle[/tex]

My question is now: How do I find the momentum values [itex]p[/itex] for each of the 3 simultaneous eigenstates?

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\hat{p} | \psi_n \rangle = p | \psi_n \rangle[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm really at a loss here. How can we find the momentum values for this discrete system with only assumed plane wave solutions?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2013 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should think about how we arrive at this form of the plane-wave. What do #k# and #n# have to do with position and momentum?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted