1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DISCRETE: A-ø=? (A is defined)

1. Feb 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose A={ø,1,2,{1,2},{3}}. Determine if each statement is true or false. Give a brief justification for your answers.
    (I finished the majority of them except for the last two)
    g) A-ø=A
    h) A-ø={1,2,{1,2},{3}}

2. Relevant equations
    The definition of difference between two sets.
    Let A and B both be sets. Then A-B={x: x[itex]\in[/itex]A and x[itex]\notin[/itex]B}

3. The attempt at a solution
    So basically one of the questions is false and the other is true. Immediately I want to say (h) is true just because A has an empty set in it but after thinking about it I think (g) is true.
    This is because we are trying compare what is in the empty set that A also contains... but the empty set has nothing in it so there is nothing to take from A. Therefore A-ø=A. Is this right? If it's not can someone explain to me why?
    I'm getting quite conflicted as to which one I believe is true. Help understanding which is true would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about the difference between A-ø and A-{ø}. ø (which has no elements) and {ø} (which has one element ø) are two different things. That might help.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  4. Feb 4, 2014 #3
    Thanks, so (g) is true and (h) is false. If (h) were to be true then it would be A-{emptyset}={1,2,{1,2},{3}}?

5. Feb 4, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, A-{ø}={1,2,{1,2},{3}}. A-ø=A. You were right.

6. Feb 4, 2014 #5
    Thank you so much :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted