Elliptic functions, properties of periods, discrete subgroup

In summary, the homework statement claims that if there is an element in the set ##\Omega \backslash \{\,\omega\,\}## within the ball of radius 2\epsilon centered at z, then there is no such element around z.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

HiI am following this proof attached and am just stuck on the bit that says:

Untitled.png
‘since ##\Omega## is a group it follows that ##|z-\omega|<2\epsilon ## contains..’Tbh, I have little knowledge on groups , it’s not a subject I have really studied in any of my classes-so the only thing I can think to look to do is look at the defining properties of a group :

Identity exists, inverse exists, closure and associativity

I believe it may be using the ‘converse’ of closure so something like if ##a \in \Omega ## and ##b## is not then ##a+b## is not in ##\Omega## ?(not a true converse since it is necessary , not sufficient..but..)

Lastly, if this was the case, there should be a ##\epsilon_1## and a ##\epsilon_2##, surely there is nothing to suggest that the discrete points in the set ##\Omega## are equally spaced? (unless ofc, it is a set of periods, which in this case it is, but this hasn’t been derived quite yet, this comes after).I’m probably way off track, but help much appreciated.

Many thanks

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

see above

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 519
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
‘since ##\Omega## is a group it follows that ##|z-\omega|<2\varepsilon## contains no element in ##\Omega \backslash \{\,\omega\,\}##'
Assume we have a ##\nu \in \Omega \backslash \{\,\omega\,\}## within this ball. Then ##\mu := \nu+\omega \in \Omega## and ##|z-\mu|=|(z - \omega ) - \nu | < 2\varepsilon## in contradiction that there is no such element around ##z##.

binbagsss said:
... surely there is nothing to suggest that the discrete points in the set ##\Omega## are equally spaced?
So? They are not equally spaced. We have a lattice with a parallelepiped as basis cell, i.e. two side of possibly different lengths. Along one direction they have to be equally spaced, because of the minimality of our choices ##\omega_j ##. As sums and differences are still elements of ##\Omega##, any shorter point would lead to a smaller ##\omega_j ##.

fresh_42 said:
and ##|z-\mu|=|(z - \omega ) - \nu | < 2\varepsilon## .

How did you get to this step though , this is the one I am stuck on, which claims to use group properties I think. In the course book, a course In complex arithmetic by jones and singerman, something like that, unfortunately I don't have the book anymore, it is drawn as a diagram , shifting the point in the complex plane, with the same radius, and says by using group properties...

fresh_42 said:
So? They are not equally spaced. We have a lattice with a parallelepiped as basis cell, i.e. two side of possibly different lengths. Along one direction they have to be equally spaced, because of the minimality of our choices ##\omega_j ##. As sums and differences are still elements of ##\Omega##, any shorter point would lead to a smaller ##\omega_j ##.

To sound really stupid...how'd you mean only along one direction they have to be equally spaced ? I thought a parallelogram has both sets of parallel lines have the opposite parallel line equal in length .

binbagsss said:
How did you get to this step though , this is the one I am stuck on, which claims to use group properties I think. In the course book, a course In complex arithmetic by jones and singerman, something like that, unfortunately I don't have the book anymore, it is drawn as a diagram , shifting the point in the complex plane, with the same radius, and says by using group properties...
To be honest: I scribbled some circles around ##z## and ##\omega##, to imagine the situation. All we have here is the triangle inequality. The group property is only used to grant that certain points are still in ##\Omega##.
binbagsss said:
To sound really stupid...how'd you mean only along one direction they have to be equally spaced ? I thought a parallelogram has both sets of parallel lines have the opposite parallel line equal in length .
Sure, but the points are not spread in equal distances, only a square would have: ##\omega_1 \perp \omega_2\; , \;|\omega_1| = |\omega_2|##. In general, two diagonal points have a greater distance than two neighbored points, and between the two neighbors, there is also one closer than the other. Only in one direction ##\omega_i## are all points equal hops.

binbagsss said:

Suppose [itex]|z - \omega| < 2\epsilon[/itex] contains an element [itex]\zeta \in \Omega \setminus \{\omega\}[/itex].

Then it follows by closure that [itex]\zeta - \omega \in \Omega \setminus \{0\}[/itex]. But by definition [itex]|\zeta - \omega| < 2\epsilon[/itex], which is a contradiction.

pasmith said:
Suppose [itex]|z - \omega| < 2\epsilon[/itex] contains an element [itex]\zeta \in \Omega \setminus \{\omega\}[/itex].

Then it follows by closure that [itex]\zeta - \omega \in \Omega \setminus \{0\}[/itex]. But by definition [itex]|\zeta - \omega| < 2\epsilon[/itex], which is a contradiction.
Ok thanks I understand how to do the step with this arguement.

Why do he notes say ' because it is a group ' though, only discreetness has been used right ?

fresh_42 said:
To be honest: I scribbled some circles around ##z## and ##\omega##, to imagine the situation. All we have here is the triangle inequality. The group property is only used to grant that certain points are still in ##\Omega##.

How's would you use the triangle inequality ? I understand the argument used below by contradiction but not sure how you would use the triangle inequality for this ?

Also why do the notes say ' since ##\Omega ## is a group ?

Thanks

binbagsss said:
How's would you use the triangle inequality ? I understand the argument used below by contradiction but not sure how you would use the triangle inequality for this ?
See post #2.
Also why do the notes say ' since ##\Omega ## is a group ?

Thanks
Because we have a sum of two points of ##\Omega## and use that this is again in ##\Omega##.

fresh_42 said:
See post #2.
Because we have a sum of two points of ##\Omega## and use that this is again in ##\Omega##.
Mm sorry yes thsnks, I overlooked that since the sum of two periods being a period seems intuitively

1. What are elliptic functions?

Elliptic functions are a type of complex function that are periodic in both the real and imaginary directions. They are defined in terms of an elliptic curve and are used in many areas of mathematics, including number theory and algebraic geometry.

2. What are the properties of periods in elliptic functions?

Periods in elliptic functions refer to the values of the function that repeat themselves after a certain interval. These values are complex numbers and have the property that the sum of any two periods is also a period. Additionally, the periods are related to the shape and size of the elliptic curve.

3. What is a discrete subgroup in relation to elliptic functions?

A discrete subgroup is a set of points on an elliptic curve that form a lattice structure. This means that the points are evenly spaced and can be used to define the periods of the elliptic function. Discrete subgroups are important in the study of elliptic functions as they help determine the behavior of the function and its periodicity.

4. How do elliptic functions relate to number theory?

Elliptic functions have many connections to number theory, including their use in the study of elliptic curves which have applications in cryptography and the study of prime numbers. Additionally, the periods of elliptic functions are related to complex multiplication in number fields.

5. What are some practical applications of elliptic functions?

Elliptic functions have a wide range of practical applications, including in physics and engineering. They are used in the study of vibrations and oscillations, as well as in modeling heat transfer and electrical circuits. Additionally, elliptic functions have applications in cryptography, data compression, and signal processing.