Discrete mapping and period doublings

In summary, The conversation is about finding the value of r where a period doubling occurs in a discrete mapping equation. The fixed points of the equation are x=-\sqrt{r} (unstable) and x=\sqrt{r} (stable for 0<r<1). The objective is to find the value of r where a period-2 cycle occurs. However, it is discovered that a flip-bifurcation (where the gradient f'(x)=-1) is the critical point for period doubling to occur. This realization leads to finding the value of r where the flip-bifurcation occurs.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

I am given the following discrete mapping: [itex]x_{n+1}=f(x_n)=x_n+r-x_n^2[/itex] for r>0.

Objective: Find the r, where a period doubling takes occurs.

Attempt: First I find the fixed points: These are [itex]x=-\sqrt{r}[/itex] (which is unstable for all r) and [itex]x=\sqrt{r}[/itex] (which is stable for 0<r<1).

This is where I am stuck. I thought that I could find the r, where the first period-2 cycle occurs, but I do not think this is a period doubling. In that case I should find out when the period-4 cycle occurs, which seems like a long task (surely there must be an easier way).

Can you shed some light on this?

Thanks for helping.

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I solved it. I have to find the point r, where there is a flip-bifurcation (i.e. where the gradient f'(x)=-1, where x is our stable fixpoint). This is the critical gradient, and there are (often, and in this case) period doublings when a flip bifurcation occurs.

1. What is discrete mapping?

Discrete mapping is a mathematical concept that involves taking a set of values and transforming them into a new set of values using a specific rule or algorithm. It is often used to model dynamic systems and predict their behavior over time.

2. What are period doublings?

Period doublings are a phenomenon in which the period of a discrete mapping doubles as a parameter of the mapping is increased. This can lead to chaotic behavior in the system and is a key aspect of the study of dynamical systems.

3. How are discrete mappings and period doublings related?

Discrete mappings and period doublings are closely related as period doublings are a type of behavior that can occur in discrete mappings. In particular, period doublings are often observed in systems that exhibit nonlinear dynamics.

4. What are some real-world applications of discrete mapping and period doublings?

Discrete mapping and period doublings have many real-world applications, including weather prediction, stock market analysis, population dynamics, and chaos-based cryptography. They can also be used to study complex systems such as the human brain and ecosystems.

5. What are some techniques for analyzing discrete mappings and period doublings?

There are several techniques for analyzing discrete mappings and period doublings, including bifurcation diagrams, Lyapunov exponents, and Poincaré maps. These techniques can help identify patterns and predict the behavior of a system under different conditions.