1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete mapping and period doublings

1. Mar 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

I am given the following discrete mapping: [itex]x_{n+1}=f(x_n)=x_n+r-x_n^2[/itex] for r>0.

Objective: Find the r, where a period doubling takes occurs.

Attempt: First I find the fixed points: These are [itex]x=-\sqrt{r}[/itex] (which is unstable for all r) and [itex]x=\sqrt{r}[/itex] (which is stable for 0<r<1).

This is where I am stuck. I thought that I could find the r, where the first period-2 cycle occurs, but I do not think this is a period doubling. In that case I should find out when the period-4 cycle occurs, which seems like a long task (surely there must be an easier way).

Can you shed some light on this?

Thanks for helping.

Best regards,
    Niles.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2009 #2
    Ok, I solved it. I have to find the point r, where there is a flip-bifurcation (i.e. where the gradient f'(x)=-1, where x is our stable fixpoint). This is the critical gradient, and there are (often, and in this case) period doublings when a flip bifurcation occurs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook