Discrete Mathematics - Basic Set Theory : Assignment review : Q1

In summary, the conversation involved a question about set operations, specifically the subtraction of one set from another. The sets involved were U, A, B, C, and D, with D - B being the specific operation in question. After analyzing the elements in set B and applying the concept of set subtraction, the correct answer was determined to be {∅, 2}. The individual asking for review and confirmation of their understanding and answer received positive feedback.
Supierreious
Question 1 :
--------------------

Homework Statement

Consider the following sets, where U represents a universal set :

U = {1, 2, 3, 4, ∅, {1}}
A = {1, 3}
B = {{1}, 1}
C = {2 , 4}
D = { ∅ , 1, 2 }

Homework Equations

Choose the correct option : D - B is the set :

1. {∅,2}
2. {∅}
3. {2}
4. ∅

The Attempt at a Solution

So the question refers to one set, minus another set. Having a look at the 2 sets in question :
D - B :

{ ∅ , 1, 2 } - {{1}, 1}

I see that set B does, which needs to be subtracted from set D, contains elements that are in set D, and elements that are not in set D. According to my understanding, only values that are in set D, can be deducted from set D. In this case the value in set B, that can be deducted from set D, is '1'. There are no other sets that can be deducted.

Thus, if we build the new set, it will look like the below :

D - B = { ∅ , 2 }

So in looking at my solution to this problem, the correct answer is number 1.

---------------------------------------------------------------------->

Please review and let me know if my understanding in this question , as well as my answer is correct. I am spending some extra time in ensuring my answers are correct, for my assignments.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Both your understanding and answer are correct. Cheers. :)

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of collections of objects. It is used to define and analyze the properties of sets, which are defined as a collection of distinct objects.

2. What are the basic operations in set theory?

The basic operations in set theory include union, intersection, complement, and Cartesian product. Union combines all elements from two or more sets into a single set, intersection finds the common elements between two sets, complement finds the elements that are not in a given set, and Cartesian product combines all possible ordered pairs from two sets.

3. What is the difference between a subset and a proper subset?

A subset is a set that contains all the elements of another set, while a proper subset is a subset that contains at least one element that is not in the original set. In other words, a proper subset is a subset that is not equal to the original set.

4. What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements in that set. It is denoted by |S|, where S is the set. For example, if the set S = {1, 2, 3}, then |S| = 3.

5. How is set theory used in other branches of mathematics?

Set theory is used in various branches of mathematics, including logic, algebra, and topology. It provides a foundation for modern mathematics and is used to define and study concepts such as functions, relations, and numbers.