1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Mathematics - Basic Set Theory : Assignment review : Q1

1. Jul 16, 2012 #1
    Question 1 :
    --------------------

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following sets, where U represents a universal set :

U = {1, 2, 3, 4, ∅, {1}}
    A = {1, 3}
    B = {{1}, 1}
    C = {2 , 4}
    D = { ∅ , 1, 2 }

2. Relevant equations

Choose the correct option : D - B is the set :

1. {∅,2}
    2. {∅}
    3. {2}
    4. ∅

3. The attempt at a solution

So the question refers to one set, minus another set. Having a look at the 2 sets in question :
    D - B :

{ ∅ , 1, 2 } - {{1}, 1}

I see that set B does, which needs to be subtracted from set D, contains elements that are in set D, and elements that are not in set D. According to my understanding, only values that are in set D, can be deducted from set D. In this case the value in set B, that can be deducted from set D, is '1'. There are no other sets that can be deducted.

Thus, if we build the new set, it will look like the below :

D - B = { ∅ , 2 }

So in looking at my solution to this problem, the correct answer is number 1.

---------------------------------------------------------------------->

Please review and let me know if my understanding in this question , as well as my answer is correct. I am spending some extra time in ensuring my answers are correct, for my assignments.

Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2012 #2
    Both your understanding and answer are correct. Cheers. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook