Discrete Mathematics Proof Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the square root of 2 is larger than the cube root of 3 and how to prove it without using decimal approximations. One approach is to raise both numbers to the same power, such as the 6th power, to see which resulting integer is larger. This method shows that 3^2 is greater than 2^3, indicating that the cube root of 3 is larger.
tuttleforty77

Homework Statement

Which is larger, square root of 2 or cubed root of 3? Prove one is larger than the other without using decimal approximations for either number.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to solve this through the contradiction that they were even. If they are not even then obviously one has to be larger than the other.

Assume sqrt(2) = cuberoot(3), which is the contradiction to our original problem. We can manipulate this expression using algebra to evaluate whether it is true or not.

sqrt(2)^3 = cuberoot(3)^3
2*sqrt(2) = 3
sqrt(2)= 3/2
sqrt(2)^2 = (3/2)^2
2 = 9/4 This is our false statement!

Since the two numbers are not equivalent, one must therefore be larger than the other number.

Now I know they're not equal so one must be larger. Can I conclude from my algebra at the end that the cube root of 3 is larger?

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be better to start with a statement like: Clearly 3/2 > 21/2. And then explicitly show that 31/3 > 21/2.

My approach would be to raise both numbers to the same power such that the results are both integers. It's then easy to see which integer is larger and hence which of the original numbers is larger.

Petek

That's a good point, I can skip all the messy algebra if I just raise them to the 6th power. That would result in 3^2 = 9 and 2^3 = 8. Seems too easy but that definitely works

1. What is discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects, such as integers and graphs, rather than continuous ones like real numbers. It is used to study and solve problems that involve a finite number of possibilities.

2. What is a proof in discrete mathematics?

A proof in discrete mathematics is a logical argument that shows the validity of a statement or theorem. It involves using previously established facts and rules of logic to demonstrate that a statement is true.

3. How do you approach a discrete mathematics proof problem?

The first step in approaching a discrete mathematics proof problem is to clearly understand the statement or theorem that needs to be proven. Then, you should carefully consider the given information and try to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Finally, use logical reasoning and previously established facts to form a convincing argument for the proof.

4. What are the common methods used in discrete mathematics proofs?

Some common methods used in discrete mathematics proofs include direct proof, proof by contradiction, proof by induction, and proof by contrapositive. Each method involves using logical reasoning and previously established facts to demonstrate the validity of a statement.

5. Is there a specific format for writing a discrete mathematics proof?

There is no specific format for writing a discrete mathematics proof, but it is important to clearly state the statement or theorem being proven, provide a logical argument with supporting evidence, and conclude with a restatement of the proven statement. It is also important to use proper mathematical notation and to be organized and concise in your writing.