1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Mathematics with possible Quotient Remainder Theorem

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For all integers m, m[tex]^{}2[/tex]=5k, or m[tex]^{}2[/tex]=5k+1, or m[tex]^{}2[/tex]=5k+4 for some integer k.

Relevant equations
    I'm pretty sure we have to use the Quotient Remainder THM, which is:

Given any integer n and positive integer d, there exists unique integers q and r such that,

n=dq+r and 0 [tex]\leq[/tex]r<d.

But that's as far as I got. I have no idea what to do next.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Well, it seems pretty obvious what you want d to be. Then square it.
  4. Sep 12, 2007 #3
    No, I have no idea what d is supposed to be. Are you saying that d should equal m and that d squared is m squared?
  5. Sep 12, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

Compare 5k+1 to dq+r.
  6. Sep 13, 2007 #5

So d=5, k=q, and r=1. Would n=m^2? But how would that help me. I mean if you take the square root then n might not possible be an integer anymore...
  7. Sep 13, 2007 #6
    If you've encountered modular arithmetic, use

Code (Text):

n (mod 5)     0  1  2  3  4
    n^2 (mod 5)   0  1  4  4  1
  8. Sep 13, 2007 #7

Homework Helper

For any number m, you can write m=5q+r. So what is m2? Combine factors of 5 to see what the remainder is for different r.
  9. Sep 13, 2007 #8
    Okay, I think I'm getting the general idea. I know that r can only be 0,1,2,3 or 4, but when m is squared, those numbers still have to be lower than five, so 0^2 is less than five, as is 1^2 and 2^2. Am I on the right track?
  10. Sep 13, 2007 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, there are five possible remainders, but squared and taken mod 5 there are only three.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?