1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacement of deflected puck on ice

1. Feb 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a puck on the ice travels 20.0 m [5.0 degrees E of N], gets deflected, and travels 30.0 m [35.0° N of W]. Determine where the puck will end up with respect to its starting point, e.g., the puck's total displacement

2. Relevant equations
    c^2=a^2+b^2-2abcosC

3. The attempt at a solution
    I made one going north east and labeled it 5 degrees, and one going north west but i dont know what direction the arrowhead should go in...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2015 #2
    I'm not sure I understand what you're confused about in your solution. Could you attach an image of your drawing of the situation?

You could use the law of cos but I personally would do it in a simpler way.

4. Feb 10, 2015 #3
    I cannot unfortunately, can you attach what you would think is the diagram for this?

5. Feb 10, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You should be able to scan a sketch and upload it. Have you tried?

6. Feb 10, 2015 #5

gneill

Moderator note: Please note that the thread title has been changed in order to make it more descriptive of the problem statement - gneill

7. Feb 10, 2015 #6

Attached Files:

8. Feb 10, 2015 #7

berkeman

Well other than being sideways, that helps. The 2nd displacement should start at the end of the first displacement. So using arrows to represent the displacement vectors, keep the first one you've drawn from the origin with the arrow pointing up and right. Then put the start of the 2nd arrow at the upper tip of the first arrow, and draw it up and left. Basically you just have to redraw your 2nd displacement vector...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted