Displacement of deflected puck on ice

Homework Statement

a puck on the ice travels 20.0 m [5.0 degrees E of N], gets deflected, and travels 30.0 m [35.0° N of W]. Determine where the puck will end up with respect to its starting point, e.g., the puck's total displacement

Homework Equations

c^2=a^2+b^2-2abcosC

The Attempt at a Solution

I made one going north east and labeled it 5 degrees, and one going north west but i dont know what direction the arrowhead should go in...

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

I'm not sure I understand what you're confused about in your solution. Could you attach an image of your drawing of the situation?

You could use the law of cos but I personally would do it in a simpler way.

I'm not sure I understand what you're confused about in your solution. Could you attach an image of your drawing of the situation?
I cannot unfortunately, can you attach what you would think is the diagram for this?

berkeman
Mentor
I cannot unfortunately, can you attach what you would think is the diagram for this?
You should be able to scan a sketch and upload it. Have you tried?

gneill
Mentor
Moderator note: Please note that the thread title has been changed in order to make it more descriptive of the problem statement - gneill

berkeman
Mentor
Well other than being sideways, that helps. The 2nd displacement should start at the end of the first displacement. So using arrows to represent the displacement vectors, keep the first one you've drawn from the origin with the arrow pointing up and right. Then put the start of the 2nd arrow at the upper tip of the first arrow, and draw it up and left. Basically you just have to redraw your 2nd displacement vector...