Disprove a convergence question

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, to disprove a convergence question, you need to find a counterexample that shows the sequence or series does not converge. A counterexample is a specific value for the variable in a convergence question that makes the sequence or series diverge, thus disproving the convergence of the sequence or series. However, convergence can also be proven by finding a specific value that makes the sequence or series converge. Common techniques for disproving convergence include the comparison test, the ratio test, and the root test. However, it is not always possible to prove or disprove the convergence of every sequence or series, as some may be too complex or have no clear pattern. Advanced mathematical techniques or computer algorithms may be needed in these cases.
transgalactic
i know that An->1

i need to prove that (An)^n ->1

but when i construct limit
lim (An)^n
n->+infinity

the base goes to 1 and the power goes to + infinity

that is not solvable

i get 1^(+infinity) which says that there is no limit
what do i do in this case in order to disprove that (An)^n->1

??

Physics news on Phys.org
All you need is a counterexample to show that
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (a_n)^n = 1[/tex] isn't true.

You need a sequence {a_n} whose limit is 1 but for which the limit above isn't 1.

1. How do you disprove a convergence question?

To disprove a convergence question, you need to find a counterexample that shows the sequence or series does not converge. This can be done by finding a specific value for the variable in the question that makes the sequence or series diverge.

2. What is a counterexample in relation to convergence?

A counterexample is a specific example that disproves a general statement or hypothesis. In the context of convergence, a counterexample is a specific value for the variable in a convergence question that makes the sequence or series diverge, thus disproving the convergence of the sequence or series.

3. Can convergence be proven or only disproven?

Convergence can be both proven and disproven. If a specific value for the variable in a convergence question is found that makes the sequence or series converge, then convergence can be proven. However, if a counterexample is found, then convergence can be disproven.

4. What are some common techniques for disproving convergence?

Some common techniques for disproving convergence include the comparison test, the ratio test, and the root test. These tests involve comparing the given sequence or series to a known sequence or series that either converges or diverges, and using this comparison to determine the convergence or divergence of the given sequence or series.

5. Is it possible to prove or disprove the convergence of every sequence or series?

No, it is not always possible to prove or disprove the convergence of every sequence or series. Some sequences or series may be very complex or have no clear pattern, making it difficult to determine their convergence. In these cases, it may be necessary to use advanced mathematical techniques or computer algorithms to analyze the sequence or series and determine its convergence.