Disrupt threads if account deletions were allowed

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, some users are discussing the idea of having a "delete my account" option on the forum. They argue that this would be functionally different from just changing personal details and asking for a ban, as it would permanently and irrevocably end their membership and prevent any future participation. However, others argue that this can already be achieved by changing password and email to garbage and that programming this option would not be worth the effort for the small number of users who may use it. The conversation also touches on the potential issues with identifying a user without password and email information.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
The idea that a member deleting his account would disrupt content of threads on the forum is not credible. This, if true is a problem only on this forum; not on others. If anything, a member would simply become a nonmember and no longer have an account, while all of his posts would remain unchanged. ALMOST every online forum I have tried allows a member to remove his membership if he wants.

Likes S.G. Janssens
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose my question is, what did you have in mind for "delete my account" that is functionally different from "edit all my personal details to blank, set my email address to the bit bucket and perma-ban me"?

Last edited:
Ibix said:
I suppose my question is, what did you have in mind for "delete my account" that is functionally different from "edit all my personal details to blank, set my email address to the bit bucket and perma-ban me"?
Exactly what many other forums do; that's what I mean. If a member decides to use the forum profile to delete his account, he can do so. This does not remove his forum posts.

I guess I don't see the point, then. You can do it yourself by changing your password to line noise and your email to junk, or do that then PM the mentors and ask for a ban. And, at least to my mind, that makes it absolutely clear what you're getting: a ban by any other name. It can't be misread as "...and my posts will disappear".

In fact I do see the point of the OP and I would like to elaborate.

As far as I have understood the terms of use of this forum, once members post something here, they "grant Physics Forums non-exclusive rights for the content they post", see here and search for the string I quoted, if you please. To me it makes sense that @Greg Bernhardt does not want members who delete their membership to delete all their posts in the process, because this would mess up threads.

However, to me, there is something functionally different between the OP's suggestion and just putting null strings in one's profile and asking for a ban. The reason is that a ban strikes out a user's name, which is apparent to other users as well. These may think that the former user was banned because he (perhaps repeatedly) violated the forum rules in a bad way. For users wishing to delete their membership this need not be the case at all. There may be a multitude of reasons that need not concern us.

To me it would seem more useful to add an option to "delete my membership" which would amount to:
  • nullifying information in all (public and private) profile fields
  • permanently disabling the account and adding a neutral message in the user's status saying that the user voluntarily left the forum
  • conserving all the user's posts and content as per the forum terms
One could add a "cool down period" of, say, 10 days, after which the above is irrevocable.

Before certain haters (not yet present in this thread at the moment, just to be clear) start to feast on this suggestion again, please notice that the above is exactly this: a suggestion for a possible improvement. Nothing more, nothing less.

Likes symbolipoint
Krylov said:
  • nullifying information in all (public and private) profile fields
  • permanently disabling the account and adding a neutral message in the user's status saying that the user voluntarily left the forum
  • conserving all the user's posts and content as per the forum terms
Every user can do all this manually already, and then just stop visiting the forum. I don't see the point of programming a new tool that does the same thing users can do on their own already. The user name is the only thing you cannot change, if that contains private information you can ask a mentor to change it.

Changing the password and email to a random string prevent future access without the strikethrough.

mfb said:
Every user can do all this manually already, and then just stop visiting the forum. I don't see the point of programming a new tool that does the same thing users can do on their own already. The user name is the only thing you cannot change, if that contains private information you can ask a mentor to change it.

Changing the password and email to a random string prevent future access without the strikethrough.
What a user cannot do by himself at the moment is to permanently and irrevocably end his membership, to prevent himself from any future participation.

The only way to do this is to ask for a "ban". As I argued, I do not find a "ban" appropriate for users that respected the forum rules during their membership but just want to permanently and irrevocably cancel that membership.

If you set both password and email to garbage, you leave the option open to contact the forum to ask for a password and email reset. Having a formal membership deletion option is cleaner and more definitive, both for the member as well as for the staff.

It seems to me that programming this may not be very hard. Once programmed, the task itself can be executed automatically, once the user clicks on the "delete membership" option.

Likes symbolipoint
Krylov said:
If you set password and email to garbage, you leave the option open to contact the forum to ask for a password reset.
How can you prove you are that person without password and email address?
That might work for a few well-known forum members with contacts outside the forum, but that is a small group, and the group of members there who are sure they want to lose any possibility to use their account again in the future is non-existent as far as I know.
Krylov said:
It seems to me that programming this may not be very hard.
It would be a lot of work. As in, a week of effort for something one or two users might actually have some use for.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Krylov said:
What a user cannot do by himself at the moment is permanently and irrevocably end his membership, to prevent himself from any future participation.
Certainly they can: Set the password to line noise and don't retain it, set the email address to trash, and you've locked yourself out forever.

But WHY? Exactly what problem are we trying to solve? Requests to delete accounts are quite common (maybe one a week) but I do not think that I have ever seen someone ask for what you're describing - they always demand that we remove their posts as well.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
mfb said:
That might work for a few well-known forum members with contacts outside the forum, but that is a small group, and the group of members there who are sure they want to lose any possibility to use their account again in the future is non-existent as far as I know.
Nugatory said:
But WHY? Exactly what problem are we trying to solve? Requests to delete accounts are quite common (maybe one a week) but I do not think that I have ever seen someone ask for what you're describing - they always demand that we remove their posts as well.
If such an option as I described would exist, I would certainly be inclined to post more than I do these days. Now, whether or not that speaks in favor or against my suggestion I leave for others to decide.

In any case, I will wait a bit with commenting more to give the OP time to respond, if he likes to.

P.S. In a variation of my suggestion, the former membership name could be automatically anonymized.

Likes symbolipoint
Even with self bans we have many flip flops. Make a more extensive account deletion and you might as well tell the member to create a new account. Also I end up talking many members out of leaving or self bans. Just last week I did this for a rather active member. Give the easy option and I don't get to step in. The community will suffer.

Krylov said:
If such an option as I described would exist, I would certainly be inclined to post more than I do these days.
Why?

A name swap does retrospectively change the listed author of posts, but not the attribution in quotes. So if you were to adopt a new name at some time in the future, nothing in this post you’re reading would change—certainly not either of the two strings "Krylov"

⬇⬇⬇
Krylov said:
In a variation of my suggestion, the former membership name could be automatically anonymized.

This was true last I checked, anyway.

Likes S.G. Janssens
NascentOxygen said:
A name swap does retrospectively change the listed author of posts, but not the attribution in quotes. So if you were to adopt a new name at some time in the future, nothing in this post you’re reading would change—certainly not either of the two strings "Krylov"

⬇⬇⬇This was true last I checked, anyway.
Thank you for pointing that out.

Krylov said:
If such an option as I described would exist, I would certainly be inclined to post more than I do these days.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Why?
You still deserve a response to this question.

The reason is that I find it friendly to offer this option to users, so they do not have to resort to somewhat artificial methods to indirectly end their membership. Instead, they could just formally close the door behind themselves for good once they decide it is time to move on. It provides a sense of freedom instead of captivity and I think freedom improves productivity.

Just to re-iterate: All this is under the assumption that the posts stay on the forum and the member name is not anonymized. (I learned in this post above that the latter would only work partially anyway.) Personally, I do not really see why someone would want to have all their posts removed once they decide to leave. I think one should stand by one's posts and correct if necessary, not delete.

Likes conscience and symbolipoint

1. What is the purpose of allowing account deletions on Disrupt threads?

The purpose of allowing account deletions on Disrupt threads is to give users control over their own personal information and online presence. It allows individuals to easily remove their data and contributions from the platform, giving them the right to be forgotten.

2. How will allowing account deletions affect the integrity of Disrupt threads?

Allowing account deletions may disrupt the continuity and flow of discussions on Disrupt threads, as contributions from deleted accounts will no longer be visible. This can also cause confusion for other users who may have interacted with the deleted account's posts.

3. Will allowing account deletions impact the accuracy of data and information on Disrupt threads?

Yes, allowing account deletions may impact the accuracy of data and information on Disrupt threads. Deleted accounts may have contributed valuable information or data to discussions, and their removal may result in gaps or inconsistencies in the content.

4. How will Disrupt threads handle potential abuse or misuse of account deletions?

Disrupt threads will have to implement strict policies and procedures to prevent abuse or misuse of account deletions. This may include verifying the identity of the account owner and limiting the frequency of account deletions.

5. What are the potential consequences of allowing account deletions on Disrupt threads?

Allowing account deletions may result in a decrease in user retention and engagement on Disrupt threads. This can also impact the overall quality and relevance of discussions, as valuable contributions from deleted accounts will no longer be accessible.