1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Distance between two objects dropped at different times

1. Sep 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object is dropped from the roof. A second object is dropped 1.50 s later. How far apart are the objects when the second one has reached a speed of 12.0 m/s.

GIVEN
    Obj 1 - vi=0 m/s , a=-9.8 m/s/s
    Obj 2 - vi=0 m/s, vf=12.0 m/s, a=-9.8 m/s/s

2. Relevant equations
    d=vf*t+1/2*a*t2

3. The attempt at a solution
    d=12.0*1.50+1/2*-9.8*2.25
    d=18-11.025
    d=6.975

I'm not sure exactly how to do this when there's two objects :S.
    The answer is 29.0 m, but I want to understand how to get it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

Write the equations for the displacements of both objects. The usual equation is the distance travelled during the time since the object has been dropped: If you start a stopwatch when the first object is dropped, and the second one when the other one is dropped, the second watch will 1.5 s behind the first one.

ehild

4. Sep 27, 2010 #3
    So would it be:
    d=vf*t-1/2*a*tt
    d=12*1.5-1/2*-9.8*2.25
    d=18-(-11.025)
    d=29

Oh I think I just messed up the sign on the equation.
    I think its right now.(?)

5. Sep 27, 2010 #4

jhae2.718

Gold Member

You need to treat each object separately; i.e. you need an equation for the displacement of each object. (Technically these should be functions of time.)

There is a time difference between the two objects; if you know the difference, how can you relate the times of the two objects? This relation will allow you to solve the first two equations.

6. Sep 28, 2010 #5

ehild

Homework Helper

I do not know how you arrived to the equation, but it is correct.

When the second object is dropped the first one has the velocity of 1.5 g and travelled 1/2 g 1.5^2 meters. After that, the distance travelled by it is
    s1=1/2 g 2.25+1.5gt + g/2 t^2, and that of the second object is s2=1/2gt. The distance between the objects is

D=s1-s2 =1/2 g 2.25+1.5 gt.

The second object reaches 12 m/s velocity in t=12/g time. Plugging back for t you get D=29.0 m.

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook