Distance between two objects dropped at different times

• Thread starter 3005
  • Start date
In summary, the object dropped from the roof has a velocity of 1.5 g and travels 1/2 g 1.5^2 meters. The object dropped 1.50 s later has a velocity of 12.0 m/s and travels 1.5 gt+1/2*a*tt meters. The distance between the two objects is 6.975 meters.

Homework Statement

An object is dropped from the roof. A second object is dropped 1.50 s later. How far apart are the objects when the second one has reached a speed of 12.0 m/s.

GIVEN
Obj 1 - vi=0 m/s , a=-9.8 m/s/s
Obj 2 - vi=0 m/s, vf=12.0 m/s, a=-9.8 m/s/s

Homework Equations

d=vf*t+1/2*a*t2

The Attempt at a Solution

d=12.0*1.50+1/2*-9.8*2.25
d=18-11.025
d=6.975

I'm not sure exactly how to do this when there's two objects :S.
The answer is 29.0 m, but I want to understand how to get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write the equations for the displacements of both objects. The usual equation is the distance traveled during the time since the object has been dropped: If you start a stopwatch when the first object is dropped, and the second one when the other one is dropped, the second watch will 1.5 s behind the first one.

ehild

So would it be:
d=vf*t-1/2*a*tt
d=12*1.5-1/2*-9.8*2.25
d=18-(-11.025)
d=29

Oh I think I just messed up the sign on the equation.
I think its right now.(?)

You need to treat each object separately; i.e. you need an equation for the displacement of each object. (Technically these should be functions of time.)

There is a time difference between the two objects; if you know the difference, how can you relate the times of the two objects? This relation will allow you to solve the first two equations.

3005 said:
So would it be:
d=vf*t-1/2*a*tt
d=12*1.5-1/2*-9.8*2.25
d=18-(-11.025)
d=29

Oh I think I just messed up the sign on the equation.
I think its right now.(?)
I do not know how you arrived to the equation, but it is correct.

When the second object is dropped the first one has the velocity of 1.5 g and traveled 1/2 g 1.5^2 meters. After that, the distance traveled by it is
s1=1/2 g 2.25+1.5gt + g/2 t^2, and that of the second object is s2=1/2gt. The distance between the objects is

D=s1-s2 =1/2 g 2.25+1.5 gt.

The second object reaches 12 m/s velocity in t=12/g time. Plugging back for t you get D=29.0 m.

ehild

What is the distance between two objects dropped at different times?

The distance between two objects dropped at different times depends on the acceleration due to gravity and the time difference between the drops. It can be calculated using the formula: d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time difference between the drops.

How does the mass of the objects affect the distance between them?

The mass of the objects does not affect the distance between them. The acceleration due to gravity is a constant for all objects, regardless of their mass. Therefore, the distance between two objects dropped at different times will be the same regardless of their mass.

What is the relationship between the time difference and the distance between the objects?

The time difference between the drops directly affects the distance between the objects. The longer the time difference, the greater the distance between the objects will be. This is because the longer the time, the longer the object has to fall and therefore the greater the distance it will cover due to gravity.

Can the distance between two objects dropped at different times ever be negative?

No, the distance between two objects dropped at different times cannot be negative. The distance will always be a positive value, as the objects are falling towards the ground in the same direction. Negative distances would only occur if the objects were moving in opposite directions.

Does air resistance affect the distance between two objects dropped at different times?

Yes, air resistance can affect the distance between two objects dropped at different times. The presence of air resistance can cause the objects to fall at different rates, resulting in a difference in their distances. However, if the objects are dropped in a vacuum, air resistance will not have any effect on the distance between them.