1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance between two points of differing phase

1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    1. A wave has a wavelength of 20 cm. Calculate the minimum distance between 2 points on the wave which differ in phase by 60 degrees

2. ummmm

3. I have drawn a sine wave from 0 to 360, and have marked the point where 60 degress should be. I dont really know why though. Very stuck, even though it seems like an easy short question. Missing something here for sure.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2009 #2
    Is it 3.33?

I need to learn the simple definition of what phase is I think.

EDIT: Doesn't matter, I've had to hand it in now. Just guessed at 3.33. Which is probably wrong, but it was only two marks so its not the end of the world.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  4. Jan 30, 2009 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hopefully you showed your reasoning in determining your answer. A guess
    often earns: 0 credit, or if your teacher is generous: 1/4 credit.

To gain a better feel for phase you may want to review your book's definition and look particularly at any associated diagrams. A search of the internet on phase as it relates to wave phenomena will also give you insight. Here's one reference.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?