Distance covered by a moving object versus friction in an inclined plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
ffrancis
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 5 kg object is pushed up along a plane inclined 30 degrees from the horizontal by a force of 20.25 N. If the velocity is 2.0 m/s at the foot of the plane and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the plane and the object is 0.25, how far up the plane will the object go?


Homework Equations


f = uN


The Attempt at a Solution


f = uN
f = (0.25)(20.25 N)
f = 5.0625 N

I really don't know how to continue the solution. Do I need to use trigonometry here? I think gravity will cause the moving object to decelerate and stop at some point when it goes up. I just don't know what formulas and equations to use before I can arrive at the solution. Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
20.25 N is not the normal reaction. It is the force applied to the object. Mass is given. Find the acceleration along the plane.
What is the component of mg perpendicular to the plane?
What is the component of mg parallel to the plane?
What is the magnitude and the direction of the frictional force?
What is the net acceleration up the plane?