1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance formula and addition of meters per s

1. Jan 3, 2010 #1
    Hello guys.

I have issues understanding a rather simple physics concept and I hope you can help me out. I've tried asking help from several people, but nobody was able to isolate the problem.
    For constant acceleration, it is said that d=(Vi+Vf)/2*t. d being distance, Vi is initial velocity, Vf is final velocity and t is time of the travel.

The problem occurs when I try to add - what seems intuitively for me atleast - the distance of object traveled each second with the added velocity from the constant acceleration.

An example, object starts at 10m/s and after 10 seconds reach a velocity of 20m/s.
    150 = (10+20)/2*10, and (20-10)/10 = 1, so acceleration is 1m/s/s.

Now when I try to add the distance traveled of each second over a duration of 10 seconds, I get 10+11+12+13+14+15+16+17+18+19 = 145. I don't add 20 because to my understanding the object doesn't actually travel any seconds with 20m/s, it merely reaches that velocity after going a full second at 19m/s.

So I can't the results to match eachother, only if I do something like (10+19)/2*10.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Use the same formula for each 1-second interval that you used for the 10-second interval:
    In the first second, d = (10 + 11)/2 * 1 = 10.5 (not 10). And so on, for each interval.

4. Jan 3, 2010 #3
    I see. So just to pinpoint where my intuition is wrong; that by adding the way I did, I assumed the acceleration only occurs after each second. It's more of a constant "push" toward the object, that happens during the seconds itself.

Thanks for the help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook