Distance formula in hyperbolic metric

In summary, the individual is trying to derive the hyperbolic distance formula for the upper-half plane model and is having trouble understanding how the formula was derived. They have tried using hyperbolic trig identities and taking the derivative of the arccosh function, but are still unsure. They receive advice to look up the trig identities again and consider using Mobius transformations to find lengths. Ultimately, they realize they needed to take the hyperbolic cosine of a different formula to solve their problem.
elffry
Hi!

I'm trying to derive the hyperbolic distance formula for the upper-half plane model.
It is given here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poincar%C3%A9_half-plane_model"

I have the first formula, (ds)2= ...
But I can't figure out how they got the distance formula below it.

I understand the integral of ds is the distance, but I don't know how they got to arccosh. I've never dealt with hyperbolic trig functions before, so I wonder if that's where I'm running into trouble. I've looked up the hyperbolic trig identities, but I'm unable to get something that when integrated, would result in arccosh. I've also tried taking the derivative of the arccosh function, but I'm not completely sure which variable I should be deriving with respect to.

Please a little advice to get me pointed in the right direction!
:smile:
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look up the trig identitites again. arccosh identifies with a rather complicated log function. The log comes from the y^2 in the demoninator of the path length. If you take the derivative of that log function you should be able to work backwards and see how it works out, but it looks like it will be extremely messy.

I have to say that you can get a much better feel for hyperbolic geometry, and also avoid ugly calculus, if you treat the upper half plane as a complex plane and use Mobius transformations to find lengths, but this might be tangential to what you're trying to do.

[SOLVED]

Thanks,

turns out, I needed to take the hyperbolic cosine of a completely different formula and work from there. Thanks though.

What is the distance formula in hyperbolic metric?

The distance formula in hyperbolic metric is a mathematical formula used to measure the distance between two points on a hyperbolic surface. It takes into account the unique curvature and geometry of the hyperbolic space.

How is the distance formula in hyperbolic metric different from the Euclidean distance formula?

The distance formula in hyperbolic metric takes into account the curvature of the hyperbolic space, while the Euclidean distance formula assumes a flat surface. This means that the distance between two points on a hyperbolic surface will be shorter in hyperbolic metric compared to the Euclidean metric.

What are the applications of the distance formula in hyperbolic metric?

The distance formula in hyperbolic metric has various applications in mathematics, physics, and computer science. It is used in the study of hyperbolic geometry, which has applications in cosmology, relativity, and computer graphics.

How is the distance formula in hyperbolic metric derived?

The distance formula in hyperbolic metric is derived using principles of hyperbolic geometry, specifically the hyperbolic law of cosines. This formula takes into account the angles and side lengths of a hyperbolic triangle to calculate the distance between two points.

Can the distance formula in hyperbolic metric be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the distance formula in hyperbolic metric can be extended to higher dimensions, just like the Euclidean distance formula. In higher dimensions, the formula becomes more complex and involves additional parameters, but it still takes into account the unique curvature and geometry of the hyperbolic space.