Metric in polar coordinate derivation

In summary, Lenny introduced the metric for ordinary flat space in the hyperbolic version of polar coordinates, represented by d(tau)^2 = ρ^2 dω^2 - dρ^2. He then stated that this is the hyperbolic version of the same formula for Cartesian space, which is ρ^2 dθ^2 + dρ^2. This is the Euclidean distance (line element) in polar coordinates. The Cartesian version of this formula equals dS^2 = ρ^2 dθ^2 + dρ^2, representing the distance between two points on a Cartesian plane in polar coordinates. A derivation of this formula can be found by using the coordinate conversions and simplifying
DiracPool
At time 1:11:20, Lenny introduces the metric for ordinary flat space in the hyperbolic version of polar coordinates? Is that what he is doing here?

d(tau)^2 = ρ^2 dω^2 - dρ^2.

He then goes on to say that this metric is the hyperbolic version of the same formula for Cartesian space, i. e.,

ρ^2 dθ^2 + dρ^2

My question is what does the Cartesian version equal? It cannot equal d(tau)^2. Does it equal dS^2? That is,

dS^2 = ρ^2 dθ^2 + dρ^2

And what is this telling us? Is it the formula for the distance between 2 points on a Cartesian plane in polar coordinates? I looked for a derivation of this formula online and on you-tube and couldn't find it. Can someone direct me to a "B-level" online link I can look at?

Physics news on Phys.org
DiracPool said:
ρ^2 dθ^2 + dρ^2

My question is what does the Cartesian version equal?
This is the Euclidean distance (line element) in polar coordinates.
DiracPool said:
I looked for a derivation of this formula online and on you-tube and couldn't find it.
I'll derive it for you.
Take the distance formula in 2D space in Cartesian coordinates: ##ds^2=dx^2+dy^2## (Pythagoras's theorem)
Use the coordinate conversions ##x=\rho cos \theta## and ##y=\rho sin \theta##. You can differentiate these equations to obtain ##dx= - \rho sin \theta d\theta + cos \theta d\rho## and ##dy = \rho cos \theta d\theta + sin\theta d\rho##. Just square these two and add them up to get ##ds^2 = (\rho ^2 sin^2 \theta d\theta ^2 - 2 \rho cos\theta sin \theta d\theta d\rho + cos^2 \theta d\rho^2) + (\rho ^2 cos^2 \theta d\theta ^2 +2 \rho sin\theta cos\theta d\theta d\rho + sin^2 \theta d\rho ^2) = \rho^2 d\theta^2 + d\rho^2##

(Note that deriving the line element in spherical coordinates [and other 3D coordinates] can get really messy. The polar coordinates case just happens to be really easy.)

Likes DiracPool
PWiz said:
I'll derive it for you.

Great. Thanks for that, that's exactly what I was looking for.

What is a polar coordinate system?

A polar coordinate system is a two-dimensional coordinate system that uses a point's distance from the origin and angle from a reference direction to determine its location. It is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

What is the metric in polar coordinates?

The metric in polar coordinates is a mathematical expression that defines the relationship between the infinitesimal distance along two coordinate lines and the corresponding changes in the coordinate values. In polar coordinates, the metric is usually represented by the matrix [dr^2 + r^2dθ^2] where dr is the infinitesimal change in the radial coordinate and dθ is the infinitesimal change in the angular coordinate.

How is the metric in polar coordinates derived?

The metric in polar coordinates is derived using the Pythagorean theorem and the chain rule of differentiation. By considering the infinitesimal changes in the radial and angular coordinates, and applying the chain rule to express these changes in terms of the Cartesian coordinates, the metric can be obtained as [dr^2 + r^2dθ^2].

What is the significance of the metric in polar coordinates?

The metric in polar coordinates is important because it allows us to calculate distances, angles, and other geometric properties in the polar coordinate system. It is also used in various mathematical and physical concepts, such as calculating line integrals, finding the curvature of a curve, and solving differential equations.

How does the metric in polar coordinates compare to the metric in Cartesian coordinates?

The metric in polar coordinates is different from the metric in Cartesian coordinates because the coordinate system is different. In polar coordinates, the metric includes a term for the angular coordinate, which is not present in Cartesian coordinates. Additionally, the metric in polar coordinates is dependent on the radial coordinate, whereas the metric in Cartesian coordinates is constant.