Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric in polar coordinate derivation

1. Nov 17, 2015 #1
    At time 1:11:20, Lenny introduces the metric for ordinary flat space in the hyperbolic version of polar coordinates? Is that what he is doing here?

d(tau)^2 = ρ^2 dω^2 - dρ^2.

He then goes on to say that this metric is the hyperbolic version of the same formula for Cartesian space, i. e.,

ρ^2 dθ^2 + dρ^2

My question is what does the Cartesian version equal? It cannot equal d(tau)^2. Does it equal dS^2? That is,

dS^2 = ρ^2 dθ^2 + dρ^2

And what is this telling us? Is it the formula for the distance between 2 points on a Cartesian plane in polar coordinates? I looked for a derivation of this formula online and on you-tube and couldn't find it. Can someone direct me to a "B-level" online link I can look at?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2015 #2
    This is the Euclidean distance (line element) in polar coordinates.
    I'll derive it for you.
    Take the distance formula in 2D space in Cartesian coordinates: ##ds^2=dx^2+dy^2## (Pythagoras's theorem)
    Use the coordinate conversions ##x=\rho cos \theta## and ##y=\rho sin \theta##. You can differentiate these equations to obtain ##dx= - \rho sin \theta d\theta + cos \theta d\rho## and ##dy = \rho cos \theta d\theta + sin\theta d\rho##. Just square these two and add them up to get ##ds^2 = (\rho ^2 sin^2 \theta d\theta ^2 - 2 \rho cos\theta sin \theta d\theta d\rho + cos^2 \theta d\rho^2) + (\rho ^2 cos^2 \theta d\theta ^2 +2 \rho sin\theta cos\theta d\theta d\rho + sin^2 \theta d\rho ^2) = \rho^2 d\theta^2 + d\rho^2##

(Note that deriving the line element in spherical coordinates [and other 3D coordinates] can get really messy. The polar coordinates case just happens to be really easy.)

4. Nov 17, 2015 #3
    Great. Thanks for that, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook