Distance of closest approach of like charge

In summary, the problem involves a proton and an alpha particle projected from infinity with given velocities and charges. The distance of closest approach between their initial velocities is given, and the task is to find a given formula using the given information. The calculations must take into account the reduced mass and conservation of angular momentum. The solution concludes with finding the initial angular momentum to be 0.
Satvik Pandey

Homework Statement

A proton and an α -particle are projected with velocity v=√[itex]\frac{e^{2}}{4∏εmL}[/itex] each from infinity as shown.The perpendicular distance between their initial velocities is L .Let the distance of their closest approach be D .

Given .Find (8D/L - 5)^2

Details and assumptions

1)mass of proton=m,charge=+e

2)mass of α-particle=4m,charge=2e

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As the particles are located at infinite distance from each other so I think dist.L will not matter much.
I tried to use reduced mass problem here.
Here reduced mass(M) =4m/5 let it be at infinite distance from origin O.
What should be the initial velocity of reduced mass here? Is it 2v.(I used 2v here)
Lat it be at a distance D from O after some time.
At D all its kinetic energy wiil be converted to potential energy so
Mv^2/2=k2e^2/R
On putting values and after doing some calcilations I got
4D=5L
I got the value of 25.Am I right?
I think I am not.

This is the link of figure.
d3pq38zxuosm5i.cloudfront.net/solvable/2676130fa9.92b5dbd0d6.O7DvUt.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not following. What do you mean by the perpendicular distance between their velocity? You've got misspellings and random punctuation out the ***.
I would suggest cleaning this post up a bit.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I'm not following. What do you mean by the perpendicular distance between their velocity? You've got misspellings and random punctuation out the ***.
I would suggest cleaning this post up a bit.
A proton and an α -particle are projected with velocity v=√e^2/4∏εmL each from infinity to each other as shown in figure.The perpendicular distance between their initial velocities is L .Let the distance of their closest approach be D .

The direction of velocities of two particles are opposite to each other but the particles do not lie on the same line.The perpendicular distance between their initial velocities means the perpendicular distance between the direction of their initial velocities.
I think it will be clear from the figure here. http://d3pq38zxuosm5i.cloudfront.net/solvable/2676130fa9.92b5dbd0d6.O7DvUt.png
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Satvik Pandey said:

Homework Statement

A proton and an α -particle are projected with velocity [itex]v=√\frac{e^{2}}{4∏εmL}[/itex]
Do you mean [itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi εmL}}[/itex] ?

Satvik Pandey said:
each from infinity as shown.The perpendicular distance between their initial velocities is L .Let the distance of their closest approach be D .

Given .Find (8D/L - 5)^2

Details and assumptions

1)mass of proton=m,charge=+e

2)mass of α-particle=4m,charge=2e

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As the particles are located at infinite distance from each other so I think dist. L will not matter much.

It does :tongue: There is angular momentum of the system, and you have to take its conservation into account.

Satvik Pandey said:
I tried to use reduced mass problem here.
Here reduced mass(M) =4m/5 let it be at infinite distance from origin O.
What should be the initial velocity of reduced mass here? Is it 2v.(I used 2v here)
Lat it be at a distance D from O after some time.
At D all its kinetic energy wiil be converted to potential energy so
Mv^2/2=k2e^2/R

No. the radial component of the velocity is zero, but but not the whole velocity.

ehild

Attachments

• closestapp.JPG
    closestapp.JPG
    3.2 KB · Views: 483
Do you want me to apply law of conservation of momentum.

I did not have knowledge about angular momentum and torque, so I explored about them yesterday.
I found that these quantities are associated with rotational motion of system.
In rotational motion the axis of system does not move and other particles of the system move around it.

Are concepts of rotational motion related to this question? If yes,then please explain how.

You want me to use angular momentum here but angular momentum is calculated w.r.t a fixed point.
Where is this 'fixed point' in this question?

I don't understand why the kinetic energy is not zero at the distance of closest approach of particles.As particles stops momentarily at the distance of closest approach so Kinetic energy should be 0 at that point.
Thank you ehild.

ehild said:
Do you mean [itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi εmL}}[/itex] ?
Yes. I didn't get the symbol of 'pi'

Satvik Pandey said:
Do you want me to apply law of conservation of momentum.
No, I want you to use conservation of angular momentum. It is conserved in a central force field.
You can define angular momentum for a particle with respect to a fixed origin.
It is ##\vec L= \vec r \times \vec p ##, the cross product of the position vector with the linear momentum. The time derivative of the angular momentum is equal to the torque. A central force has zero torque, so the angular momentum is conserved in a central force field. Your virtual particle moves in a central force field, where the force acts away from a repulsive centre.

Satvik Pandey said:
You want me to use angular momentum here but angular momentum is calculated w.r.t a fixed point.
Where is this 'fixed point' in this question?

I don't understand why the kinetic energy is not zero at the distance of closest approach of particles.As particles stops momentarily at the distance of closest approach so Kinetic energy should be 0 at that point.
Thank you ehild.

If you have the real particles you can choose the fixed point at the CM when they are at the closest approach. In the reduced mass approach, you have a fixed centre of force, determine the angular momentum with respect to it.

The kinetic energy becomes zero at closest approach if the particles move along the same line. Here they move along curved lines which do not intersect. See picture. If they stopped somewhere, they would move along a straight line away from the CM and each other and the angular momentum of the system would be zero.

Attachments

• twopartickes.JPG
    twopartickes.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 536
I have made the figure ehild.Please see that.

I have some problem in finding the initial angular momentum.
L=mvrsinθ.Here r=∞.

But from the figure
cosA=∞/∞=1
so A=0.
So the angle between velocity vector and position vector=180(joining both vector from tail to tail)
but sin180=0
So initial angular momentum is 0.Is it right.

physics figure..png
This is the figure.

You can not calculate with infinity like that. ∞/∞ is not 1. Think about x/x2, both the numerator and the denominator goes to infinity, what about the ratio?
You never reach infinity. It is only a limit - you can increase something more and more but it is still finite.

Initially the point is very far away but still at a finite distance R. Rsin(A)=L.
So the angular momentum of the virtual particle is μ(2v)L.

ehild

ehild said:
You can not calculate with infinity like that. ∞/∞ is not 1. Think about x/x2, both the numerator and the denominator goes to infinity, what about the ratio?
You never reach infinity. It is only a limit - you can increase something more and more but it is still finite.

Initially the point is very far away but still at a finite distance R. Rsin(A)=L.
So the angular momentum of the virtual particle is μ(2v)L.
ehild
Ok I get that.
For calculating final angular momentum.
I have made a figure.

L=mvrsinθ(θ in this case should be equal to 90 I think)
Lf=μv'r.
Is it right?

physics figure..png

Satvik Pandey said:
Ok I get that.
For calculating final angular momentum.
I have made a figure.

L=mvrsinθ(θ in this case should be equal to 90 I think)
Lf=μv'r.
Is it right?

View attachment 71708

Yes. The initial angular momentum is μVL, (V=2vo) and the final one is μv'r, r is the distance of closest approach (the problem text uses D for it). The initial angular momentum is equal to that at the closest approach.

ehild

ehild said:
Yes. The initial angular momentum is μVL, (V=2vo) and the final one is μv'r, r is the distance of closest approach (the problem text uses D for it). The initial angular momentum is equal to that at the closest approach.

ehild

μ2vL=μv'D
or 2vL=v'D.
If I use law of conservation of energy and substitute v'=2vL/D.Will I get the answer?

Satvik Pandey said:
μ2vL=μv'D
or 2vL=v'D.
If I use law of conservation of energy and substitute v'=2vL/D.Will I get the answer?

I hope. :smile:

ehild

v'=[itex]\frac{2vL}{D}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{4μv^{2}}{2}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{k2e^{2}}{D}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{4μv^{2}L^{2}}{2D^{2}}[/itex]

On simplifying and putting the values of v,μ=4m/5 and k.
I got

4D[itex]^{2}[/itex]=5DL+4L[itex]^{2}[/itex].

I am not able to find (8D/L - 5)^2

Divide the whole equation with L2. You get a quadratic equation for D/L. Write the quadratic formula, but do not evaluate. What do you get?

ehild

ehild said:
Divide the whole equation with L2. You get a quadratic equation for D/L. Write the quadratic formula, but do not evaluate. What do you get?
ehild
Is it 89?

It looks all right.

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
It looks all right.

ehild
Thank you ehild.You are the best.

Thank you, but it is an overstatement:shy:

ehild

What is the distance of closest approach of like charge?

The distance of closest approach of like charge is the shortest distance between two particles with the same charge that are moving towards each other. It is the point at which the particles experience the strongest repulsive force and begin to change direction.

How is the distance of closest approach of like charge calculated?

The distance of closest approach is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By setting the force equal to zero, the distance of closest approach can be determined.

Can the distance of closest approach of like charge be measured in real life?

Yes, the distance of closest approach can be measured in real life using various experimental techniques such as the Millikan oil drop experiment or the Thomson's plum pudding model. These experiments involve observing the behavior of charged particles in an electric field and determining the distance at which they experience the strongest repulsive force.

What factors can affect the distance of closest approach of like charge?

The distance of closest approach can be affected by the charges of the particles involved, their masses, and the initial velocities at which they are moving towards each other. Additionally, the presence of other charged particles or external electric fields can also impact the distance of closest approach.

Why is the distance of closest approach important in physics?

The distance of closest approach is important in understanding the behavior of charged particles and the nature of electric forces. It also has practical applications in fields such as particle physics, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. Additionally, the concept of distance of closest approach is crucial in the development of technologies such as particle accelerators and nuclear reactors.