Distance of closest approach of alpha particle calc

In summary, after accelerating through a potential difference of 20kV, an alpha particle travels directly towards a stationary Beryllium nucleus. The particle's mass is of the same order of magnitude as that of the Beryllium atom, so the Beryllium atom is 'pushed' backwards by the alpha particle.
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

An alpha particle is accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 20kV. It travels directly towards
a stationary Beryllium nucleus (4 protons, 5 neutrons). Calculate the distance of closest approach

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

E=qv=(40x10^3)e, where e is the electronic charge
U=qQ/4(pi)(epsilon naught)(R)
R=qQ/4(pi)(epsilon naught)(U)
R=2.876x10-13 m

Is there any more to this question- it seems a bit to simple for it to be just this. Wondering if I've missed something blindingly obvious. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the speed of the particle at the point of closest approach?

Fightfish said:
What is the speed of the particle at the point of closest approach?
0- so i assume all of its k.e is converted into potential energy?

Physgeek64 said:
0- so i assume all of its k.e is converted into potential energy?
That's not so much an assumption as it is the result of applying conservation of energy.

... and, yes, that's correct.

Physgeek64 said:
Is there any more to this question- it seems a bit to simple for it to be just this. Wondering if I've missed something blindingly obvious. Thanks :)
You made an inadvertent assumption about this scattering processes.

The mass of the alpha particle is of the same order of magnitude as that of the Beryllium atom. So what happens to the Beryllium atom as the alpha particle approaches it?

Likes TSny
gleem said:
You made an inadvertent assumption about this scattering processes.

The mass of the alpha particle is of the same order of magnitude as that of the Beryllium atom. So what happens to the Beryllium atom as the alpha particle approaches it?
Well I would have thought it would be itself 'pushed' backwards. But I don't really see how to work that into my equations. Especially since this will cause the force on the alpha particle to not follow the inverse square law.

Ive tried applying Newtons laws, but it just gets very messy since the force is changing

Doing this I get

q1*q2/4*pi*e0*(x+r)^2=m(d^2x/dt^2)

Then applying the conservation of momentum I get

m(a)*v(0)=m(a)(dr/dt)+m(b)(dx/dt)

And v(0) can be worked out using the conservation of energy as E=qV=1/2mv(0)^2

So this expression for momentum can be integrated to get r in terms of x to get

r=v(0)*t-(m(b)/m(a))*x

Then this can be subbed back into the equation of motion for x to get

K*(x*(1-m(b)/m(a))+v(0)t)^-2=m*(d^2x/dt^2)

Where K=q1*q2/4*pi*e0

But I'm not really sure how to go about solving this since its second order and both t and x are present

A handy trick is to convert the frame of reference from the stationary "lab" frame to the center of momentum frame of reference. It's a coordinate system that moves with the center of mass. In such a frame the point where the two objects would collide (if it weren't prevented by their mutual repulsion) is the center of mass and it is stationary. In this frame the two approaching particles are also stationary at the instant of closest approach.

gneill said:
A handy trick is to convert the frame of reference from the stationary "lab" frame to the center of momentum frame of reference. It's a coordinate system that moves with the center of mass. In such a frame the point where the two objects would collide (if it weren't prevented by their mutual repulsion) is the center of mass and it is stationary. In this frame the two approaching particles are also stationary at the instant of closest approach.

Ah okay! Thats really helpful! Thank you- I shall give that a go :)

1. What is the distance of closest approach of an alpha particle?

The distance of closest approach of an alpha particle is the minimum distance between the alpha particle and the nucleus of an atom during a collision. This distance is determined by the kinetic energy and initial velocity of the alpha particle, as well as the charge and mass of the nucleus.

2. How is the distance of closest approach of an alpha particle calculated?

The distance of closest approach can be calculated using the Rutherford scattering formula, which takes into account the Coulomb force between the alpha particle and the nucleus. This formula uses the known values of the particle's kinetic energy and initial velocity, as well as the charge and mass of the nucleus.

3. Why is the distance of closest approach important in nuclear physics?

The distance of closest approach is important in nuclear physics because it can provide information about the structure and properties of the nucleus. By measuring the distance of closest approach, scientists can determine the size and charge distribution of the nucleus, as well as the strength of the nuclear force.

4. How does the distance of closest approach change with different elements?

The distance of closest approach is dependent on the charge and mass of the nucleus, which vary for different elements. As a result, the distance of closest approach will also vary for different elements. Heavier elements with larger and more positively charged nuclei will have a shorter distance of closest approach compared to lighter elements.

5. Can the distance of closest approach be used to predict the outcome of a nuclear reaction?

Yes, the distance of closest approach can be used to predict the outcome of a nuclear reaction. By calculating the distance of closest approach for different nuclei and particles, scientists can determine if a reaction is likely to occur and what products may be formed. This information is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of atoms and nuclei in nuclear reactions.