Image distance of a Keplerian telescope

• Thread starter guv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary: The solution at the site is ##d_i=d_o\left(\frac{f_e}{f_o}\right)^2##, not what you have. The ##10^4## is ##d_o = 10## km, not the square of the height of the building.Here is how one obtains the answer following the outline in post #2. The real image is formed by the objective at distance ##f_o+\epsilon## beyond the focal point.$$\frac{1}{d_o}+\frac{1}{f_o+\epsilon}=\frac{1}{f_o}\implies \
guv
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
I found a problem where the question is asking for image distance.

The focal lengths of the objective and eyepiece convex lenses are in the ratio 8:1 for aparticular telescope. The telescope is pointed at a building that is 10 km from thetelescope and is 100 m tall. What is the distance to the image?

Normally this type of question only concerns with the magnification factor. The provided solution has a formula for the image distance,

##d_i = d_o^2 (\frac{f_e}{f_o})^2 = 10^2 (\frac{1}{8})^2 = 156.2 m ##

Can someone explain this equation? Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that the provided solution is dimensionally incorrect. The left hand side has dimensions of length whilst the right hand side has dimensions of length squared.

In any case, you should be able to get the correct expression by considering that the telescope is constructed so that the objective creates a real image of the building at distance ##f_o+\epsilon## which becomes an object for the eyepiece at distance ##f_e-\epsilon##. The calculation requires the use of the lens equation in tandem.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
The left hand side has dimensions of length
I also think it should be distance squared. But then everything could be square rooted . . . .?

kuruman said:
The calculation requires the use of the lens equation in tandem.
But the lens equation, for the eyepiece, needs more information (like the intermediate object distance from the EP). It's up to the user to adjust that 'to taste' and the image distance can be chosen over a range from the user's near point to infinity (and beyond!).

Normally the magnification factor is concerned with angles and not heights. Is it possible that there is some more information somewhere in the printed question? There's one clear error so another one is quite possible.

We need to see the actual question of a reference to it.

sophiecentaur said:
I also think it should be distance squared. But then everything could be square rooted . . . .?But the lens equation, for the eyepiece, needs more information (like the intermediate object distance from the EP). It's up to the user to adjust that 'to taste' and the image distance can be chosen over a range from the user's near point to infinity (and beyond!).

Normally the magnification factor is concerned with angles and not heights. Is it possible that there is some more information somewhere in the printed question? There's one clear error so another one is quite possible.

We need to see the actual question of a reference to it.
That's exactly correct, there will be an adjustable delta between the two foci of the objective and eye piece ##\delta##. Therefore exact calculation will yield a final image distance from eye piece
##- \frac{f_e (f_e - \delta )}{\delta }##
Note that this has nothing to do with objective lens focal length and it depends on the adjustable distance which is not given.

I posted the exact problem (Physics Bowl 2023 Question 48) without cutting out anything. I quoted the solution wrong, the provided solution is

##d_i = d_o^2 (\frac{f_e}{f_o})^2 = 10^4 (\frac{1}{8})^2 = 156.2 m ##

Here is the direct link to the problem and solution https://aapt.org/programs/physicsbowl/currentexam.cfm

I wonder if aapt got this problem/solution wrong.

guv said:
That's exactly correct, there will be an adjustable delta between the two foci of the objective and eye piece ##\delta##. Therefore exact calculation will yield a final image distance from eye piece
Note that this has nothing to do with objective lens focal length and it depends on the adjustable distance which is not given.

I posted the exact problem (Physics Bowl 2023 Question 48) without cutting out anything. I quoted the solution wrong, the provided solution is

##d_i = d_o^2 (\frac{f_e}{f_o})^2 = 10^4 (\frac{1}{8})^2 = 156.2 m ##

Here is the direct link to the problem and solution https://aapt.org/programs/physicsbowl/currentexam.cfm

##d_i = d_o (\frac{f_e}{f_o})^2 = 10^4 (\frac{1}{8})^2 = 156.2 m ##

guv said:
The solution at the site is ##d_i=d_o\left(\frac{f_e}{f_o}\right)^2##, not what you have. The ##10^4## is ##d_o = 10## km, not the square of the height of the building.

Here is how one obtains the answer following the outline in post #2. The real image is formed by the objective at distance ##f_o+\epsilon## beyond the focal point.
$$\frac{1}{d_o}+\frac{1}{f_o+\epsilon}=\frac{1}{f_o}\implies \frac{1}{d_0}=\frac{\epsilon}{f_o(f_o+\epsilon)}\approx\frac{\epsilon}{f_o^2}.$$This real image is just inside the focal length of the eyepiece at distance ##f_e-\epsilon##. Then $$\frac{1}{d_i}+\frac{1}{f_e-\epsilon}=\frac{1}{f_e}\implies \frac{1}{d_i}=-\frac{\epsilon}{f_e(f_e-\epsilon)}\approx-\frac{\epsilon}{f_e^2}.$$You can finish the solution to get the magnification and the AAPT answer from here. Note that this relation is only approximate.

Likes SammyS and hutchphd
That's the same thing I derived earlier,
How do you determine ##\delta## or ##\epsilon## from here?

kuruman said:
The solution at the site is di=do(fefo)2, not what you have. The 104 is do=10 km, not the square of the height of the building.
I was over thinking it. The "telescope" is assumed to be set up for infinite object and image distances and that's the missing info. As a bino and scope user I would never have assumed that.
Not a fair question because it triggers panic and not 'I can do this'.

1. What is the image distance of a Keplerian telescope?

The image distance of a Keplerian telescope is the distance between the objective lens and the eyepiece lens. It is the distance at which the image of the observed object is formed.

2. How is the image distance of a Keplerian telescope calculated?

The image distance of a Keplerian telescope can be calculated using the formula: fo x (1 + fe/fo), where fo is the focal length of the objective lens and fe is the focal length of the eyepiece lens.

3. What is the significance of the image distance in a Keplerian telescope?

The image distance is important in a Keplerian telescope as it determines the magnification of the observed object. A longer image distance results in a larger magnification, while a shorter image distance results in a smaller magnification.

4. Can the image distance of a Keplerian telescope be adjusted?

Yes, the image distance of a Keplerian telescope can be adjusted by changing the distance between the objective lens and the eyepiece lens. This can be done by moving the eyepiece in or out of the telescope's tube.

5. How does the image distance affect the image quality in a Keplerian telescope?

The image distance has a direct impact on the image quality in a Keplerian telescope. A shorter image distance can result in a distorted or blurry image, while a longer image distance can result in a clearer and more focused image.