How to tell is a two lens converging system is inverted or not

In summary, a compound microscope with an objective lens of focal length 15.0 mm and an eyepiece lens of focal length 25.5 mm is used to examine an object placed 24.1 mm in front of the objective. The distance of the final image with respect to the eyepiece is 130 mm to the left. The image formed by the eyepiece is virtual and upright while the image from the objective is real and inverted. The overall magnification of the microscope is determined by multiplying the magnification of the objective and the eyepiece.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

A compound microscope consists of two converging lenses. Lens 1, called the objective,
is a distance 61.0 mm from lens 2, called the eyepiece. The objective is placed in between the
object and the eyepiece. The objective has a focal length of 15.0 mm, and the eyepiece has a
focal length of 25.5 mm. If the microscope is used to examine an object placed 24.1 mm in
front of the objective,
a) what is the distance of the final image with respect to the eyepiece?
b) Is the image real or virtual?
c) Is the image inverted or non-inverted?
d) What is the overall magnification of the microscope?

Homework Equations

1/do+1/di = 1/f
M=-di/do
M=m1m2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I did for part a and b. 1/24.1+1/di = 1/15
which gives me 39.725. Then 61-39 because they are both between lens 1 and 2. which gives 21. then 1/21 + 1/di = 1/25.5 which gives -128.405 mm. The answer is 130mm to the left of the eyepiece so I got that part right. The because the image distance is negative the image is virtual. Thus I thought this would mean the image would be upright sice the di value is negative and the lens are converging. However it is not can anyone help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
what you have done is correct. The image formed by the eyepiece is virtual and this image is upright.
BUT the object for the eyepice is the image from the objective and this is real and INVERTED

Can you tell me why though is it going to be like this all the time?

1. How can I determine if a two lens converging system is inverted or not?

The easiest way to determine if a two lens converging system is inverted or not is by looking at the orientation of the object and its image. If the object is placed above the first lens and the image is formed below the second lens, then the system is inverted. If the image is formed above the second lens, then the system is not inverted.

2. What is the significance of knowing if a two lens converging system is inverted?

Knowing if a two lens converging system is inverted is important for understanding the behavior of light rays as they pass through the system. It also allows for accurate predictions of the image formation and magnification.

3. Can a two lens converging system be both inverted and non-inverted?

No, a two lens converging system can only be either inverted or non-inverted. This is determined by the relative positions of the object and the image with respect to the lenses.

4. Are there any other ways to determine if a two lens converging system is inverted?

Yes, another way to determine if a two lens converging system is inverted is by using the thin lens equation. If the calculated image distance is negative, then the system is inverted. If the calculated image distance is positive, then the system is non-inverted.

5. What happens to the orientation of an image formed by a two lens converging system if the lenses are reversed?

If the lenses in a two lens converging system are reversed, the orientation of the image will also be reversed. An inverted system will become non-inverted, and a non-inverted system will become inverted.