Distance, Time, and Temperature question

In summary: The person who did it took it a bit too far and made it complicated.In summary, a rock is thrown down a well with an initial velocity of 2.10 m/s and is heard striking the bottom of the well 4.22 seconds later. The velocity of the rock just before it hits the bottom of the well is 41.0 m/s. Using g = 9.8 m/s^2, the depth of the well can be found using the formula d=vt, with a time of 4.22 seconds and a velocity of 41.0 m/s, resulting in a depth of approximately 87.5 meters. The time it takes for the rock to hit the bottom of the well
Nathan J
A person throws a rock down a well with an initial velocity of 2.10 m/s. The sound of the rock striking the bottom of the well is heard 4.22 seconds after the rock is thrown down. If the velocity of the rock just before it hits the bottom of the well is 41.0 m/s.

What is:
a) The depth of the well
b) The time it takes for the rock to hit the bottom of the well
c) The temperature of the air in the well

DID I DO THIS RIGHT? CHECK MY WORK ON IMAGE.

Homework Statement

g = 9.8 m/s ^2
V1 = 2.10 m/s

Homework Equations

V2 ^2 = V1^2 + 2gd
d=vt

The Attempt at a Solution

On picture![/B]

Attachments

• EDE9D143-670F-4FEE-A9B2-2713406C2249.jpeg
    EDE9D143-670F-4FEE-A9B2-2713406C2249.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
First, the question is impractical. Drag would likely overwhelm the accuracy of it as a way of finding the temperature.

Are you told to use 9.8 for g? The arithmetic might be a bit sensitive to the values. I would use 9.81.
Either way, I would certainly keep an extra digit through the calculations.

For part b, it would be better to work more directly with the given data than with intermediate results, i.e. use v=u+at. It also avoids quadratics.

Not sure what happened towards the end of part b. You found the time of the fall, then appear to have used that as if it were the time for the sound to come up. But you got a reasonable answer for sound speed, so this was probably an error in copying out your working.

Other than that, all looks fine.

haruspex said:
The arithmetic might be a bit sensitive to the values. I would use 9.81.
I would say that depends on the location of the well...

Likes haruspex
It is just a basic grade 11 question, it isn’t supposed to be too complicated

What is the relationship between distance, time, and temperature?

The relationship between distance, time, and temperature is dependent on several factors. Distance and time are directly related - the longer the distance, the longer the time it takes to travel that distance. Temperature, on the other hand, is not directly related to distance and time. However, temperature can affect the time it takes to travel a certain distance, such as in extreme weather conditions.

How do we measure distance, time, and temperature?

Distance is typically measured in units such as meters, kilometers, or miles. Time is measured in units such as seconds, minutes, or hours. Temperature is measured in units such as degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit. These measurements can be taken using various tools such as rulers, clocks, and thermometers.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed and velocity are both measures of how fast an object is moving. However, velocity also takes into account the direction of motion. Speed is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude, while velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How does temperature affect the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is affected by temperature because sound travels through air molecules. As temperature increases, air molecules move faster, which allows sound to travel more quickly. Conversely, as temperature decreases, air molecules move slower, causing sound to travel more slowly.

What is the formula for converting between Celsius and Fahrenheit?

The formula for converting from Celsius to Fahrenheit is F = (C * 9/5) + 32, where F is the temperature in Fahrenheit and C is the temperature in Celsius. To convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius, the formula is C = (F - 32) * 5/9.