Distance, velocity & Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of deriving velocity and acceleration from the distance equation. It is noted that the average velocity can be calculated by dividing distance by time, but to find the acceleration, the function x=f(t) is needed. It is also mentioned that using the equation of motion can provide an answer for acceleration, but this assumes constant acceleration, which may not be the case for a flying bird.
otomanb
taking derivation of distance equation is easy as every body knows.
differentiating distance we get velocity and differentiating velocity we get acceleration
but if a bird fly from one tree to another of distance 50m in 3 sec. we can get it's velocity by
v=s/t but how can we get it's acceleration ?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi otomanb! :smile:
otomanb said:
if a bird fly from one tree to another of distance 50m in 3 sec. we can get it's velocity by v=s/t but how can we get it's acceleration ?

if v = s/t, then the acceleration is zero :wink:

But how ?
:uhh:

In calculating that velocity as "distance divided by time", you are calculating the average velocity, a constant. Since the velocity does not change, there is no acceleration.

Only when the function x=f(t) is given, can we use differentiation

Try thinking this way: there are many ways that the bird could have flown the 50 meters in 3 seconds. It could have rapidly accelerated to say 17 m/sec and flown the whole way there at that speed, and then quickly slowed down at the end. Or it could have gradually accelerated through the first 25 meters and then gradually slowed during the final 25 meters. Or it could have done a crazy flight speeding up and slowing down repeatedly. So as the others have said, the 50/3 = 16.7 m/sec is just the average, and to find the acceleration you need to know the actual location at each point along the way. (That's azureth's function; f(t)).

Because v=s/t gives us the constant value and derivation of constant value gives us ZERO answer.

but if i use equation of motion
2as=vf^2-vi^2
it give me some answer like 2.78m/s^2 :confused:

otomanb said:
2as=vf^2-vi^2
it give me some answer like 2.78m/s^2 :confused:

vi = 0, but you don't know vf

you'll have to use another constant acceleration equation, s = vit + 1/2 at2 :wink:

btw, is this a rocket-powered bird?

what makes you think it flies with constant acceleration? :biggrin:

not constant acceleration with constant "Velocity" and if velocity is constant acceleration is always ZERO

i'm confused …

then why did you use a constant acceleration equation? :confused:
otomanb said:
2as=vf^2-vi^2

2as=vf^2-vi^2
sorry don't know that it's constant acceleration equation

1. What is distance?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and no direction.

2. What is velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. It is represented by the equation v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time.

4. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

5. How is acceleration related to velocity and time?

Acceleration is related to velocity and time through the equation a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is change in velocity, and Δt is change in time. This means that an object's acceleration is directly proportional to the change in its velocity and inversely proportional to the change in time.