Distinguishing iron(II) chloride from iron(II) sulfate solutions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Elizabeth12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Difference Iron
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 11K views
Elizabeth12
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Hi

I need help with my chemistry homework. I'm stuck on the following questions

1. Very dilute solutions of iron(II) chlodie and iron (II) sulfate have similar colours. Explain how you can distinguish solutions of these compounds. Give full details of the tests you can carry out as well as the experted results.

I understand this question, but I can't find any other way to distinguish the two solutions other than the test for anions, which the test results for both are the same. ( both form a white precipitate)

2. Explain why addition of ammonia to iron(II) and iron (III) salts gives the same results as in the test of Fe 2+ and Fe 3+ using aqueous sodium hydroxide.

The effect is the same...but why though?

Please help me answer these questions a.s.a.p because the homework is due tomorrow! thank you!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: yyy
Physics news on Phys.org
Elizabeth12 said:
I understand this question, but I can't find any other way to distinguish the two solutions other than the test for anions, which the test results for both are the same. ( both form a white precipitate)

How do you test for chlorides? How do you test for sulfates?

Explain why addition of ammonia to iron(II) and iron (III) salts gives the same results as in the test of Fe 2+ and Fe 3+ using aqueous sodium hydroxide.

What happens when you add ammonia or hydroxide?