Distributing into a square root

In summary, the conversation discusses how to multiply an equation with a square root and how to correctly distribute expressions under the square root. It is important to be careful when doing so as it can change the meaning and introduce errors. The conversation also mentions using the formula A= 2pi integral from a to b f(x)sqrt 1+ f(x) prime^2 and how to write it as \int_a^b \sqrt{f^2(x)(1+ f'^2(x))}dx.
camel-man
Its been a while since I have taken any kind of math class, I am a bit rusty in general algebra. Can someone explain how I would multiply an equation like this

(2x-1)sqrtof x-3x

is it just like normal distribution? Would I just put the answer underneath the square root?
sqrt2x^2-6x^2-x+3x?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
all of these things are equal:

a*sqrt(b) = sqrt(a*a) * sqrt(b) = sqrt(a*a*b)

camel-man said:
Its been a while since I have taken any kind of math class, I am a bit rusty in general algebra. Can someone explain how I would multiply an equation like this

(2x-1)sqrtof x-3x

is it just like normal distribution? Would I just put the answer underneath the square root?
sqrt2x^2-6x^2-x+3x?

To figure something like this out, try it with regular old numbers.

For example [itex]5 \sqrt{4} = 5 * 2 = 10[/itex].

But if you just put the 5 under the square root sign to make it sqrt(5*2) = sqrt(10), then that's not the same thing as 10 so you can't do that.

Why not? Well, [itex]\sqrt{a^2b^2} = ab[/itex], right? That's because

(ab)2 = a2b2.

So, what's the fix? If we have 5 * sqrt(4) we can put the 5 under the radical by squaring it:

[itex]5 \sqrt{4} = \sqrt{5^2*4} = \sqrt{100} = 10[/itex] as it should be.

Last edited:
Ok so let me know if I am the right track if I have (9y+1)sqrt 82
i just square 9y+1 and put it under the square root with 82 and then times them both together?

camel-man said:
Ok so let me know if I am the right track if I have (9y+1)sqrt 82
i just square 9y+1 and put it under the square root with 82 and then times them both together?

Yes, but now you have to be careful. If 9y+1 is negative, squaring it will lose information. So this depends on the context.

In other words it is not always true that [itex]\sqrt{x^2} = x[/itex]. That's because the meaning of the square root symbol is the positive number that squares to what's under the radical. So if you start with x = -5, you'll end up introducing an error.

Why do you want to put this expression under the radical? In general, doing so will change the meaning and introduce an error.

Ahh I see well I am finding the area of a surface and I need to distribute this expression into the square root due to the formula I was given

A= 2pi integral from a to b f(x)sqrt 1+ f(x) prime^2

that is the forumula that I have to use

I think you mean "f(x)sqrt(1+ f(x) prime^2)". Please use parentheses!

[tex]\int_a^b f(x)\sqrt{1+ f'^2(x)}dx[/tex]

Yes, you can write that as
[tex]\int_a^b \sqrt{f^2(x)(1+ f'^2(x))}dx[/tex]

Whether that is a good idea or not depends upon f.

What does it mean to distribute into a square root?

Distributing into a square root refers to the process of expanding an expression that contains a square root by multiplying each term inside the square root by the number outside of it. This allows for simplification and easier calculation.

How do I distribute into a square root?

To distribute into a square root, you can follow these steps:

1. Identify the number outside of the square root.
  2. Expand the expression inside the square root by multiplying each term by the number outside.
  3. Simplify the expression if possible by combining like terms.
  4. Finally, rewrite the expression with the square root symbol.

Can I distribute a number into a sum of square roots?

Yes, you can distribute a number into a sum of square roots by multiplying the number to each term inside the square root separately. For example, you can distribute 2 into √5 + √10 by multiplying 2 to √5 and √10 separately to get 2√5 + 2√10.

Is it possible to distribute a variable into a square root?

Yes, you can distribute a variable into a square root the same way you would distribute a number. For example, you can distribute x into √(4x + 9) by multiplying x to each term inside the square root to get √(4x^2 + 9x).

Why is distributing into a square root useful?

Distributing into a square root is useful because it allows us to simplify expressions and make them easier to work with. It also helps us to find the exact value of an expression that contains square roots, which may be necessary in certain calculations or equations.