Is this theory regarding the graph and the square root valid?

In summary, the conversation is about the use of a graph to find the value of $\sqrt3$. The method involves substituting $\sqrt3$ for $x$ in a given quadratic equation and observing the results. The conversation also discusses the validity of this method for finding the square root of any number.
mathlearn
http://mathhelpboards.com/pre-algebra-algebra-2/find-value-squareroot-3-using-graph-drawing-suitable-straight-line-19973.html

greg1313 said:
Mathematics is a science and experimentation is a valuable tool. The first thing I did was to substitute $\sqrt3$ for $x$ in the given quadratic and observe the results. Get your hands dirty!
I guess I found a method to obtain the square root of any number using the above graph.

$x^2-2x-3$ What I did to find the square root of 3 was replace $x^2$ with the desired square root

$\sqrt{3}^2-2x-3=3-2x-3=-2x=0=y$

And check this out if we replace the $x^2$ of the formula of the formula to obtain a square root of any number

$\sqrt{7}^2-2x-3=7-2x-3=-2x+4=0=y$

Check the $x$ axis of the intersection point of the graph and the x axis

Is this theory regarding the graph and the square root really valid?

[graph]z0awzx3ity[/graph]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: An amazing discovery regarding the graph and the square root

mathlearn said:
$\sqrt{3}^2-2x-3=3-2x-3=-2x=0=y$
If \(\displaystyle x = \sqrt{3}\) then \(\displaystyle x^2 - 2x - 3 = (\sqrt{3})^2 - 2 \sqrt{3} - 3\). You have to replace all the x's.

Also: \(\displaystyle \sqrt{3}^2-2x-3=3-2x-3=-2x=0\) says that -2x = 0, but you originally had \(\displaystyle x = \sqrt{3}\), which both can't be true.

-Dan

1. What is the theory behind the relationship between the graph and the square root?

The theory behind the relationship between a graph and its square root is based on the concept of inverse functions. The square root function is the inverse of the squared function, meaning that if a number x is squared and then the square root is taken, the result will be the original number x. In a graph, this relationship is represented by the reflection of the graph across the line y=x.

2. How can I determine if a graph and its square root are valid?

A graph and its square root are considered valid if they follow the basic principles of mathematics and are consistent with the properties of inverse functions. This means that the graph should be reflected across the line y=x, and the square root of the graph's points should equal the original points. Additionally, the graph should not violate any mathematical laws or principles.

3. Can a graph and its square root have multiple valid solutions?

Yes, a graph and its square root can have multiple valid solutions. This is because there can be multiple points on a graph that have the same square root, resulting in different solutions. For example, the points (4,16) and (-4,16) both have a square root of 4, resulting in two valid solutions for the graph's square root.

4. Is the relationship between a graph and its square root always the same?

No, the relationship between a graph and its square root can vary depending on the function and the specific points on the graph. In some cases, the graph and its square root may have a linear relationship, while in others it may be non-linear. It is important to analyze the graph and its properties to determine the specific relationship between the graph and its square root.

5. How can I use the relationship between a graph and its square root in real-world applications?

The relationship between a graph and its square root can be used in various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and finance. It can help in understanding the behavior of certain physical phenomena or in analyzing data trends. For example, in finance, the relationship between a company's growth in profits and its stock price can be represented by a graph and its square root, providing insights into the company's performance.