Distribution of nucleons in the nuclei

In summary: No, because the size of the nucleus is not the only factor that affects how charge is distributed in a nucleus. The strong force also plays a role.
says
What does this diagram tell us about the distribution of nucleons in the nuclei? - The diagram is from Krane Introductory Nuclear Physics

I know that nucleons don't congregate around a central part of a nucleus, but instead have a constant distribution throughout. i.e. The number of nucleons per unit of volume is fairly constant.

I'm not really sure why they all taper off the way they do though. Smaller mass number particles tend to taper off quicker, while larger mass number particles taper off slower. I'm not really sure why this is.

nuclear density.jpg

Attachments

• nuclear density.jpg
    nuclear density.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 964
Physics news on Phys.org
says said:
I know that nucleons don't congregate around a central part of a nucleus, but instead have a constant distribution throughout. i.e. The number of nucleons per unit of volume is fairly constant
That would give horizontal lines in the diagram that drop to zero at some nucleus radius.
The densitties don't drop off sharply but taper out to zero because the nucleons are bound together by the strong force that has a very limited range (the 208Pb is the largest stable nucleus). So the nucles is a dense but but moving packing, meaning that just like with electron orbits around the nucleus, there is no sharp outer bound.

So the nucleons have a fairly constant distribution in the nucleus, but the distribution tapers off at the range of the strong force. For nuclei with larger mass number, A, this tapering off is a much longer tail?

Not much, considering the big difference in atomic number...

Nucleons have a fairly constant distribution but their charge densities drop off relatively slowly because there is no sharp outer boundary to the nucleus.

Krane says 'the distance over which the charge density drops is nearly independent of the size of the nucleus, and is usually taken to be constant.'

If the nucleus is large and there is no sharp outer boundary to it, then doesn't that mean the larger the nucleus the longer the distance over which the charge density drops?

What is the distribution of nucleons in the nuclei?

The distribution of nucleons in the nuclei refers to how protons and neutrons are arranged and distributed within the nucleus of an atom. This arrangement is determined by the strong nuclear force, which binds the nucleons together.

How many nucleons are typically found in the nuclei of atoms?

The number of nucleons in the nuclei of atoms varies depending on the element. Hydrogen, the lightest element, has only one nucleon (a single proton), while uranium, the heaviest naturally occurring element, has 238 nucleons (92 protons and 146 neutrons) in its most common isotope.

What is the difference between a proton and a neutron?

Protons and neutrons are both types of nucleons found in the nuclei of atoms. Protons have a positive charge, while neutrons have no charge. They also differ in mass, with protons being slightly lighter than neutrons.

How does the distribution of nucleons affect the stability of an atom?

The distribution of nucleons is a crucial factor in determining the stability of an atom. Generally, atoms with a balanced number of protons and neutrons (known as a stable isotope) are more stable than those with an uneven number of nucleons. Unstable isotopes may undergo radioactive decay in order to achieve a more stable distribution of nucleons.

Can the distribution of nucleons change?

Yes, the distribution of nucleons in a nucleus can change through various processes such as radioactive decay, fusion, and fission. These processes can result in changes in the number of protons and neutrons, thus altering the distribution of nucleons in the nucleus.