Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distribution of Number of Pieces

1. Jul 18, 2010 #1
    Let [tex]\{A_i\}[/tex] be independent random variables, real numbers selected uniformly from the interval (0,1-v) for some constant v, 0<v<1.
    Let [tex]B_i = \cup^i_{j=1} (A_j,A_j+v)[/tex]
    Let [tex]C_i[/tex] be the number of disconnected pieces of [tex]B_i[/tex].

Problem: What is the distribution of [tex]C_i[/tex]? I doubt that a closed form expression is possible but it's tough to even find a computer program to calculate it except via monte carlo.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2010 #2
    I haven't worked out the details, but I think I see a way to approach this. Even if it doesn't result in a closed form formula, you might be able to work out an algorithm to compute it. Basically, the hard part is finding the volume left of an i-cube of side 1-v after several pieces have been sliced off. It should be easier for v >= 1/3, but tricky for v < 1/3. The idea is to work with the order statistics of the Aj, and find the probability that there are exactly k-1 "gaps" of the form A(m+1)-A(m) > v. In this case Ci = k. Is that making sense?

Mind if I ask what is the application of this?

4. Jul 21, 2010 #3
    Conjecture:

[tex]P\{C_i = k\} = \frac{1}{(1-v)^i}\binom{i-1}{k-1}\sum_{j=0}^{k-1}(-1)^j\binom{k-1}{j}G(i-k+j, i; v)[/tex]

where

[tex]G(m,i;v) = \sum_{n=1}^{r}(-1)^{n+1}\binom{m}{n-1}(1-nv)^i[/tex]

for

[tex]\frac{1}{r+1} \leq v < \frac{1}{r}[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook