Joint cumulative distribution of dependent variables

In summary, the conversation discusses how to compute the probability of the sum of three dependent, uniformly-distributed random variables being greater than a given number. The equation for the joint p.d.f. of the sum of the three variables is provided and confirmed to be correct. The conversation then discusses the use of convolution to find the p.d.f. of the sum and the final probability can be calculated using an integral. The conversation also addresses some minor typos and clarifies the use of the heaviside function and multiplication by $\frac16$.
OhMyMarkov
Hello everyone!

The problem:
$X,Y,Z$ are random variables that are dependent and uniformly-distributed in $[0,1]$, and let $\alpha$ be a given number in $[0,1]$. I am asked to compute the following:

$\text{Pr}(X+Y+Z>\alpha \;\;\; \& \;\;\; X+Y\leq \alpha)$​

What I have so far

$f_{X+Y+Z,X+Y}(u,v)=f_{Z,X+Y}(u-v,v)=f_{Z}(u-v)\cdot f_{X+Y}(v)$

(1) Is the above equation correct? I think it stands for discrete RVs but not quite sure for continuous RVs... If it is true, is the following integral correct to compute the desired probability?

$\int _{\alpha} ^{+\infty} \int _{-\infty} ^{\alpha} f_{X+Y+Z,X+Y}(u,v) du\; dv = \int _{\alpha} ^{+\infty} \int _{-\infty} ^{\alpha} f_{Z}(u-v)f_{X+Y}(v) du\; dv=
\int _{\alpha} ^{+\infty} \alpha f_{X+Y}(v) dv$​

Physics news on Phys.org
I've not checked carefully the details but it follows from a substitution. I think we can simplify the last integral.

:confused:

OhMyMarkov said:
Hello everyone!

The problem:
$X,Y,Z$ are random variables that are dependent and uniformly-distributed in $[0,1]$, and let $\alpha$ be a given number in $[0,1]$. I am asked to compute the following:

$\text{Pr}(X+Y+Z>\alpha \;\;\; \& \;\;\; X+Y\leq \alpha)$​

What I have so far

$f_{X+Y+Z,X+Y}(u,v)=f_{Z,X+Y}(u-v,v)=f_{Z}(u-v)\cdot f_{X+Y}(v)$

(1) Is the above equation correct? I think it stands for discrete RVs but not quite sure for continuous RVs... If it is true, is the following integral correct to compute the desired probability?

$\int _{\alpha} ^{+\infty} \int _{-\infty} ^{\alpha} f_{X+Y+Z,X+Y}(u,v) du\; dv = \int _{\alpha} ^{+\infty} \int _{-\infty} ^{\alpha} f_{Z}(u-v)f_{X+Y}(v) du\; dv=
\int _{\alpha} ^{+\infty} \alpha f_{X+Y}(v) dv$​

If X, Y and Z are non negative r.v., then if X + Y + Z > a then X + Y < a so that what You have to find is the p.d.f. of the r.v. T = X + Y + Z. X, Y and Z are uniformely distributed in [0,1], so that their p.d.f. and its L-transform is... $\displaystyle f(t) = \mathcal {U} (t) - \mathcal{U} (t-1) \implies F(s) = \frac{1 - e^{-s}}{s}\ (1)$

The p.d.f. of T is the convolution of three p.d.f. ...

$\displaystyle f_{T} (t) = f(t)*f(t)*f(t) = \mathcal{L}^{-1}\{\frac{1 - 3\ e^{- s} + 3\ e^{- 2\ s} - e^{- 3\ s}}{s^{3}}\} = \frac{1}{6}\ \{ t^{2}\ \mathcal U(t) - 3\ (t-1)^{2}\ \mathcal U (t-1) + 3\ (t-2)^{2}\ \mathcal {U} (t-2) - (t-3)^{2}\ \mathcal{U} (t-3)\}\ (2)$

Now is simply...

$\displaystyle P \{ X + Y + Z > a\} = 1 - \int_{0}^{a} f_{T}(t)\ dt\ (3)$ Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

OhMyMarkov said:
:confused:

There is just a minor typo in the initial post (you meant the random variables are independent). Now I think it's good. Did you compute a density of $X+Y$.

chisigma said:
If X, Y and Z are non negative r.v., then if X + Y + Z > a then X + Y < a so that what You have to find is the p.d.f. of the r.v. T = X + Y + Z. X, Y and Z are uniformely distributed in [0,1], so that their p.d.f. and its L-transform is... $\displaystyle f(t) = \mathcal {U} (t) - \mathcal{U} (t-1) \implies F(s) = \frac{1 - e^{-s}}{s}\ (1)$

The p.d.f. of T is the convolution of three p.d.f. ...

$\displaystyle f_{T} (t) = f(t)*f(t)*f(t) = \mathcal{L}^{-1}\{\frac{1 - 3\ e^{- s} + 3\ e^{- 2\ s} - e^{- 3\ s}}{s^{3}}\} = \frac{1}{6}\ \{ t^{2}\ \mathcal U(t) - 3\ (t-1)^{2}\ \mathcal U (t-1) + 3\ (t-2)^{2}\ \mathcal {U} (t-2) - (t-3)^{2}\ \mathcal{U} (t-3)\}\ (2)$

Now is simply...

$\displaystyle P \{ X + Y + Z > a\} = 1 - \int_{0}^{a} f_{T}(t)\ dt\ (3)$ Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$
Hello,
What is $\mathcal U(t)-\mathcal U(t-1)$? Is it a Probability density function of uniform distribution at t=1. Have you used here heavyside function concept? Why did you multiply (2) by $\frac16$ ? It should be multiplied by $\frac12$. My guess is X,Y,Z are dependent random variables, therefore, you multiplied (2) by $\frac16 i.e. (\frac12*\frac13)$ Am i correct?

Last edited:

1. What is a joint cumulative distribution function (CDF)?

A joint cumulative distribution function (CDF) is a mathematical function that describes the probability that two or more dependent variables will take on specific values or fall within certain ranges. It represents the cumulative sum of the probabilities of all possible outcomes for the variables.

2. How is a joint CDF different from a regular CDF?

A regular CDF describes the probability distribution of a single variable, whereas a joint CDF describes the probability distribution of multiple dependent variables. In other words, a joint CDF takes into account the relationships between two or more variables, while a regular CDF does not.

3. What is the purpose of a joint CDF in statistics?

The purpose of a joint CDF is to model the relationship between multiple dependent variables and determine the probability of specific outcomes occurring. It can also be used to calculate other important statistical measures such as correlation and covariance.

4. How is a joint CDF calculated?

A joint CDF is calculated by summing the probabilities of all possible outcomes for the dependent variables. This can be done through mathematical formulas or by using statistical software. The resulting function represents the cumulative probability distribution for the dependent variables.

5. What are some common uses of a joint CDF?

A joint CDF is commonly used in fields such as economics, finance, and engineering to model the relationships between multiple dependent variables and make predictions about future outcomes. It can also be used in data analysis and hypothesis testing to determine the significance of relationships between variables.