Disturbing finding on my smart phone

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
In summary, Ring said that their camera stopped working and they noticed that it was off-lined, so they came back and said they would have to replace the camera because it was off-lined.
yungman
I installed the Ring Spot Camera, it worked for a few days and stopped working, I contacted Ring, they came back and said they notice my camera is off-lined!

How can they know? Are they monitor my phone and activity? Can they get into my wi-fi and get into my computers that contain more important information?

I am very careful not to put anything important on the smart phone, no bank account, not even my important email account. I only put my play email account on it. I don't even put my address and use the near by store address. Can they find out where I live by my phone?

This is quite disturbing.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The camera uploads videos of suspicous movement to its website that's how your phone can access and view the videos. You aren’t talking to the home camera directly but through a common website.

The real business model here is to offer more disk space for longer video retentions and perhaps even event monitoring as well as to let you know what’s going on.

Oh, you mean the camera is NOT talking to my phone directly over the wi-fi, it actually sent the video to Ring company, then they send it back to me? That's kind of stupid!

It only tape 30 sec.

Thanks

Yes, but that’s how you’re able to view it at work or when you’re away from home.

Likes yungman
OK, it makes sense. So it's not like they can get into my computers through the wi-fi?

I wouldn’t say that since the ring is on your network. However, I think other kinds of hacks would more likely penetrate it.

It’s always best to be cautious, conservative and take periodic backup always holding onto a secondary backup or whatever scheme you can devise. The secondary is to cover the ransomware attack where they could corrupt your more recent backups.

Likes yungman
I use Norton protecting my computers, is that good enough? I don't have any anti virus on my phone, I don't know where to start in protecting the phone other than I don't play games, I don't serve the internet with the phone.

No, you need to backup your phone to your computer and your computer to a removable hard drive or a backup service like carbonite.

Antivirus and malware can only protect against known threats but threats evolve faster than the software designed to protect against it so you need a backup plan too.

Yes, I do back up my computers. So having the Ring is not increase the threat.

Thanks

Likes jedishrfu
Is it save to use some email services, e.g., hotmail to send yourself files? Are Microsoft's/Google's etc. severs likely to be hacked?

WWGD said:
Is it save to use some email services, e.g., hotmail to send yourself files? Are Microsoft's/Google's etc. severs likely to be hacked?
Since they've both already BEEN hacked, I'd say yeah, it's likely.

Likes WWGD and jedishrfu
There are just too many ways that a determined hacker can get at your stuff. Nothing is safe.

Google has introduced Yubikey to its employees and has greatly reduced hacking attacks on their people.

Yubikey is a physical dongle that you connect to your USB port and that insures that you are the one using the computer. It’s better than two factor.

phinds said:
Since they've both already BEEN hacked, I'd say yeah, it's likely.
Yes, but I frame it slightly different: Are they more likely to be hacked or have their servers crash than I am?

WWGD said:
Yes, but I frame it slightly different: Are they more likely to be hacked or have their servers crash than I am?
Yes. They are a big target, you are a small target, so they are way more likely to be hacked.

Likes WWGD
phinds said:
Yes. They are a big target, you are a small target, so they are way more likely to be hacked.
True, but OTOH they have top-of-the-line security experts taking care of the servers. I have some 30hrs (3 credits) worth of training in back up and support.

Sorry, don't mean to be big-mouthed here, specially in a topic of which I am ignorant. Please let me know if I am not making sense here.

WWGD said:
True, but OTOH they have top-of-the-line security experts taking care of the servers. I have some 30hrs (3 credits) worth of training in back up and support.
Yes, and they have probably several thousand enthusiastic hackers trying to get into their systems and you very likely have none. ONE if you are very unlucky.

Likes WWGD
jedishrfu said:
There are just too many ways that a determined hacker can get at your stuff. Nothing is safe.

Google has introduced Yubikey to its employees and has greatly reduced hacking attacks on their people.

Yubikey is a physical dongle that you connect to your USB port and that insures that you are the one using the computer. It’s better than two factor.
How does Yubikey work? You mean you have to keep it with you and plug into the computer every time you use the computer?

yungman said:
How does Yubikey work? You mean you have to keep it with you and plug into the computer every time you use the computer?
Your choice. They have a version that's specifically designed to be just left in the computer. Google is your friend by the way.

1. What is the disturbing finding on my smart phone?

The specific disturbing finding on your smart phone may vary, but it could be something like a virus or malware, inappropriate content, or evidence of unauthorized access.

2. How did this disturbing finding end up on my smart phone?

There are a few potential ways this could happen. It could be the result of a security breach, accidentally clicking on a malicious link or downloading a harmful app, or someone else gaining physical access to your phone.

3. Is this disturbing finding a threat to my personal information?

It is possible that the disturbing finding on your smart phone could pose a threat to your personal information. If it is a virus or malware, it could potentially steal your personal data. It is important to address the issue as soon as possible to protect your information.

4. How can I get rid of this disturbing finding on my smart phone?

The steps to get rid of the disturbing finding on your smart phone will depend on what it is. If it is a virus or malware, you may need to run a security scan or reset your phone. If it is inappropriate content, you can delete the file or app. It is also important to take steps to prevent similar issues in the future, such as being cautious when clicking on links or downloading apps.

5. What should I do if I find a disturbing finding on my smart phone?

If you come across a disturbing finding on your smart phone, the first thing you should do is not panic. Take a moment to assess the situation and determine the best course of action. If it is a security threat, address it immediately. If it is something less serious, take steps to remove it and prevent similar issues in the future.