Cannot use Android phone in fastboot mode

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a Samsung Galaxy On7, running Android 6.0.1, being recognized as a modem by a computer with Windows 7, 32-bit when in fastboot mode. The individual has tried various solutions to stop the computer from recognizing the device as a modem, but has not been successful. They also mention the potential risk of trying to install a newer Android OS on an older device.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have a Samsung Galaxy On7, Android 6.0.1.

On my computer (Windows 7, 32-bit), I have adb and fastboot installed. I can work on my phone properly from adb. But the problem starts in fastboot mode.

When I put my phone in bootloader mode, the computer takes the phone to be a modem. There are several videos that show how the driver problems can be solved, but once my computer identifies the device as modem, I cannot do anything else, as it is reluctant to install the Android Bootloader Interface drivers for my phone, saying they are the ones meant for a modem.

I have even tried to stop auto installation of drivers, but even then the device is recognised as a modem.

Is there any way I can stop my computer from recognising the device as a modem?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I am afraid, everything you got (Samsung Galaxy On7, Android 6.0.1, Windows 7, 32-bit) is obsolete.

You can't expect Windows 7, a 2010 OS to recognize a 2015 Samsung device, same as you can't expect to install a 2018 Android OS on a 2015 smartphone if that's what you are trying to do. You will only succeed in bricking the phone.

Is the phone battery still working?

1. Why can't I use my Android phone in fastboot mode?

Fastboot mode is a special diagnostic mode on Android devices that allows users to modify system files and perform other advanced tasks. It is designed for developers and advanced users, and is not intended for everyday use. Therefore, it is disabled by default on most devices to prevent accidental changes to the system.

2. How do I enter fastboot mode on my Android phone?

The steps to enter fastboot mode may vary depending on the device, but it typically involves turning off the phone and then pressing a specific combination of buttons (such as Power + Volume Down) to boot into fastboot mode. You can search online for the specific steps for your device model.

3. Can I use fastboot mode to fix issues with my Android phone?

Yes, fastboot mode can be used to fix certain issues with an Android phone, such as flashing a new ROM or unlocking the bootloader. However, it is recommended to only use fastboot mode if you have a good understanding of the process and its potential risks, as making incorrect changes can cause further problems with your device.

4. How do I exit fastboot mode on my Android phone?

To exit fastboot mode, you can either reboot the device or use the command "fastboot reboot" in the command prompt or terminal. This will restart your phone and boot it back into the regular mode.

5. Is it safe to use fastboot mode on my Android phone?

Using fastboot mode can be risky if you are not familiar with it or do not know what you are doing. Making incorrect changes to the system can cause your device to malfunction or even become unusable. It is always recommended to proceed with caution and have a backup of your data before using fastboot mode.