1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence and curl of vector field defined by \vec A = f(r)vec r

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A vector field is defined by A=f(r)r
    a) show that f(r) = constant/r^3 if [tex]\nabla[/tex]. A = 0
    b) show that [tex]\nabla[/tex]. A is always equal to zero

2. Relevant equations
    divergence and curl relations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using spherical co-ordinates to solve this. But I am not sure if i am totally right.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would also use spherical coordinates on this problem.

I cannot say if you are right since I haven't seen any of your work. I'll need to see some work if you want more specific advice.

4. Oct 11, 2008 #3

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

Certainly parts (a) and (b) can not be consistent as you have written them... i suppose part (b) should be a curl not a divergence?

5. Oct 11, 2008 #4
    here is what i've done and where i got stuck:

[tex]\nabla[/tex]A = [tex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}[/tex] [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r^{2}f(r))[/tex]

on simplifying this i got:

f(r) = [tex]\frac{-1}{2} r f'(r)[/tex]

then i integrated with a hope to get an expression for f(r) but did not end up with what i needed i.e. f(r) = constant/ r^{3}

6. Oct 12, 2008 #5

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well the way you interpreted it, you have [tex]\mathbf{A}=f(r)\hat{r}[/tex], but the way the question is stated it is [tex]\mathbf{A}=f(r)\mathbf{r}=[/tex], or [tex]\mathbf{A}=f(r)r\hat{r}[/tex]. This extra factor of r should give the answer required.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?