Divergence and curl of vector field defined by \vec A = f(r)vec r

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 8K views
FourierX
Messages
73
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A vector field is defined by A=f(r)r
a) show that f(r) = constant/r^3 if [tex]\nabla[/tex]. A = 0
b) show that [tex]\nabla[/tex]. A is always equal to zero

Homework Equations


divergence and curl relations

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried using spherical co-ordinates to solve this. But I am not sure if i am totally right.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would also use spherical coordinates on this problem.

I cannot say if you are right since I haven't seen any of your work. I'll need to see some work if you want more specific advice.
 
FourierX said:

Homework Statement


A vector field is defined by A=f(r)r
a) show that f(r) = constant/r^3 if [tex]\nabla[/tex]. A = 0
b) show that [tex]\nabla[/tex]. A is always equal to zero

Homework Equations


divergence and curl relations

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried using spherical co-ordinates to solve this. But I am not sure if i am totally right.

Certainly parts (a) and (b) can not be consistent as you have written them... i suppose part (b) should be a curl not a divergence?
 
here is what I've done and where i got stuck:

[tex]\nabla[/tex]A = [tex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}[/tex] [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r^{2}f(r))[/tex]

on simplifying this i got:

f(r) = [tex]\frac{-1}{2} r f'(r)[/tex]

then i integrated with a hope to get an expression for f(r) but did not end up with what i needed i.e. f(r) = constant/ r^{3}
 
Well the way you interpreted it, you have [tex]\mathbf{A}=f(r)\hat{r}[/tex], but the way the question is stated it is [tex]\mathbf{A}=f(r)\mathbf{r}=[/tex], or [tex]\mathbf{A}=f(r)r\hat{r}[/tex]. This extra factor of r should give the answer required.