Is ##\vec A## (with 0 div.) for uniform ##\vec B## unique?

• Thread starter Pushoam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uniform
In summary: In the electric analogy this would be a uniform electric field everywhere in space. This satisfies the Maxwell equations, and there is no charge needed, but this would have an observable consequence of course.This would be that the field is not observable
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-8-19_11-34-32.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a difficulty in the last part of the problem.
Let's assume that gradient of a scalar function ## \lambda ## could be added to the vector potential ## \vec A ##.
Then, acc. to the condition ## \nabla . \vec A = 0 ##,
we get,
## \nabla ^2 \lambda = 0##
The above is true for the whole space. So, this means that there is no source for ##\lambda ## in the whole space. This leads to , ##\nabla \lambda = 0##.
Hence, the result is unique.

But, the uniqueness theorem says that for a vector quantity ## \vec A ##, if its divergence and curl is given and its normal component on a boundary of a region is specified , then within this region, ## \vec A ## is uniquely defined.

Here, if I assume that ## \vec A ## goes to zero at infinity, then using uniqueness theorem, I can say that ## \vec A ## is specified uniquely.
But, without this assumption, I can't apply uniqueness theorem.Right?
Does the information that "##\vec B ## is uniform" help in anyway?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
The above is true for the whole space. So, this means that there is no source for ##\lambda ## in the whole space. This leads to , ##\nabla \lambda = 0##.
Why?
But, without this assumption, I can't apply uniqueness theorem.Right?
Correct, because A is not uniquely defined before that.
Does the information that "##\vec B ## is uniform" help in anyway?
It is not relevant for the question if A is unique.

Pushoam said:
The above is true for the whole space. So, this means that there is no source for λ in the whole space. This leads to , ∇λ=0.
mfb said:
Why?

I consider ## \lambda ## as an electrostatic potential. Now, if ## \nabla ^2 \lambda = 0## is valid for all space →then there is no charge in the whole space i.e charge density is 0 in the whole space, then electric field i.e. ## -\nabla \lambda ## in the whole space has to be zero. Isn't this argument correct?

The question is purely about magnetic fields, electric fields do not matter.

There are solutions to ##\nabla ^2 \lambda = 0## that have ##-\nabla \lambda \neq 0##. Fixing boundary conditions removes them.

mfb said:
The question is purely about magnetic fields, electric fields do not matter.
Sorry for being not clear. I took ## \lambda## as electric potential analogically.
But, if there is no source for ## \lambda ## in all space, how can there be non-zero ##\nabla \lambda##?
Consider the following eqn.:
##\nabla^2 v =0## ,if there is no source in all space i.e. charge density is 0 everywhere, then ##- \nabla V ## has to be 0.
In a similar way, ##\nabla^2 \lambda =0## ,if there is no source for ## \lambda ## in all space, ##\nabla \lambda = 0##.

mfb said:
Fixing boundary conditions removes them.
What does"" Fixing boundary conditions"" remove?

In the analogy to an electric potential, it would be a potential that changes linearly in some direction. ##\lambda = \vec r \vec d## with an arbitrary vector d.
Pushoam said:
What does"" Fixing boundary conditions"" remove?
Requiring that ##A(r) \to 0## for ##r \to \infty##, for example.

mfb said:
In the analogy to an electric potential, it would be a potential that changes linearly in some direction. ##\lambda = \vec r \vec d ##with an arbitrary vector d.
I can't understand that if there is no charge in the whole universe, how there can be a changing potential. Potential difference is due to the presence of charge, right?
But your argument says that even if there exist no charge, there exist potential difference?
I guess now I understood, in case of potential difference, it is assumed that potential difference at infinity is 0( which is the general case). Under this assumption, ##\nabla ^2 \lambda = 0 ## gives ## \nabla \lambda = 0##.
Here, in case of magneto-statics, I can take ##\lambda ## such that ## \nabla \lambda ## is not 0 at infinity, so ## \vec A ## is not unique .

Don't take the electric analogy too far. The ##\lambda## I suggested changes A, but it does not change B. It does not have any physical relevance, it is purely a gauge freedom.
In the electric analogy this would be a uniform electric field everywhere in space. This satisfies the Maxwell equations, and there is no charge needed, but this would have an observable consequence of course.

mfb said:
In the electric analogy this would be a uniform electric field everywhere in space. This satisfies the Maxwell equations, and there is no charge needed,
Does this mean that there can be electrostatic field without any charge?
upload_2017-8-21_16-29-52.png

Don't the above eqns. say that if there is no charge, there is no potential difference?
mfb said:
but this would have an observable consequence of course.
what kind of consequence, for example?

Pushoam said:
Does this mean that there can be electrostatic field without any charge?
If the field is the same everywhere: Yes.
Pushoam said:
Don't the above eqns. say that if there is no charge, there is no potential difference?
It uses the implicit assumption that the electric field vanishes for large distances. That is fine for electric fields because we know there is no uniform electric field all over space. It does not work any more if you study the magnetic vector potential, because we cannot measure that directly.

Likes Pushoam

1. What does "0 div." mean in relation to uniform magnetic fields?

"0 div." refers to a zero divergence, indicating that the magnetic field is uniform and does not vary in strength or direction within a given region.

2. Is a uniform magnetic field unique if it has a zero divergence?

Yes, a uniform magnetic field with a zero divergence is unique because it is constant and does not change over time or space.

3. How does a magnetic field with a zero divergence affect other physical quantities?

A magnetic field with a zero divergence has no effect on other physical quantities, such as electric fields or charges. This is because a zero divergence indicates a uniform and non-changing magnetic field.

4. Is a uniform magnetic field with a zero divergence realistic?

Yes, a uniform magnetic field with a zero divergence is a common occurrence in nature and can be created artificially in laboratory settings as well.

5. What is the significance of a magnetic field with a zero divergence in physics?

A magnetic field with a zero divergence plays a crucial role in many physical phenomena, including the behavior of electric charges, the generation of electromagnetic waves, and the functioning of various electronic devices.