1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence of an infinite series (using the def of limit)

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that [tex]a_{n} > 0[/tex] and [tex]lim(na_{n}) = l[/tex] with [tex]l\neq0[/tex],
    prove that [tex]\sum a_{n}[/tex] diverges.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

lim(na_n)=l (with =/= 0), so I can safely say that:

[tex]\left|na_{n}-l\right| < \epsilon[/tex] by the definition of limit.

Then isn't it also true that [tex]\left|a_{n}-l\right| < \epsilon[/tex] because [tex]\left|a_{n}-l\right| \leq \left|na_{n}-l\right|[/tex] and is smaller than the same epsilon?

From there it would imply that a_n converges to l which is never 0, so the sum of a_n would not converge either.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In fact, you expect |an-l| to be approximately l for large values of n. Why? Because nan converges to a value, so an must go to zero since n goes to infinity

4. Oct 24, 2009 #3
    I made a mistake on the original post. The goal is to prove that [tex]\sum a_{n}[/tex] diverges. Sorry about that... Does my explanation make more sense now?

5. Oct 24, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This part is true

This part isn't. For example, if an=1/n, then nan converges to 1, but an converges to 0!

6. Oct 24, 2009 #5
    ok, thank you. I think I proved it by letting epsilon = 2l (which is >0 because a_n >0)

Then [tex]-2l < na_{n}-l < 2l[/tex] implies [tex]-l < na_{n} < 3l[/tex], which implies [tex]-l/n < a_{n}[/tex]

Since ∑ -l/n = (-1)*∑ 1/n which doesn't converge, by comparison test a_n doesn't converge.

7. Oct 24, 2009 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have that -l/n<an<3l/n

This doesn't tell you anything! an could be, for example, 1/n2 and satisfy this. The comparison test only works when all the terms in both series are positive

When you have

|nan-l|<e, what can you say about |an-l/n|?

8. Oct 24, 2009 #7
    |an-l/n| approaches 0 doesn't it? I'm not sure if this was what you were getting at... I understand that an is some form of 1/n, but I want to prove that by using the e def of limit and without providing a specific an that works.

How about if e = l/2? Then I would have l/2 < an < l/2 + l. Couldn't I use the comparison test on l/2 < an? Thanks again.

9. Oct 24, 2009 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Stop trying to bound it below by a single number. You know an goes to zero, so if you can bound it below by l/2, you have a contradiction. I don't see how you got that last inequality

|an-l/n| goes to zero, but how?

Look:
    [tex] |na_n-l|< \epsilon \rightarrow |a_n-\frac{l}{n}|< \frac{ \epsilon}{n}[/tex]

So what can we say about an? For large enough n, this:

[tex] \frac{l}{n} - \frac{ \epsilon}{n} < a_n < \frac{l}{n} + \frac{ \epsilon}{n}[/tex]

So what value of epsilon do you want, and what series are you comparing to?

10. Oct 24, 2009 #9
    If [tex]\epsilon = \frac{l}{2}[/tex], we have [tex]\left| na_{n} - l \right| < \epsilon = \frac{l}{2}[/tex]

which [tex]= -\frac{l}{2} < na_{n} - l < \frac{l}{2}[/tex]

[tex]= -\frac{l}{2n} < a_{n} - l < \frac{l}{2n}[/tex]

[tex]= -\frac{l}{2n} + l < a_{n} < \frac{l}{2n} + l[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{l}{2n} < a_{n} < \frac{l}{2n} + l[/tex]

11. Oct 24, 2009 #10

Can [tex]\epsilon = \frac{l+\epsilon}{n}[/tex]?...

12. Oct 24, 2009 #11

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Probably not...

You had the right idea with comparison test. You just need to figure out what value of epsilon gives you something useful

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook