1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence of the geometric Series at r=1

1. Apr 29, 2012 #1
    Now for the proof of convergence/divergence of the geometric series we first deduce the Nth partial sum which is given by:

[tex] \frac{r(1-r^n)}{1-r} [/tex]

Now for 0<r<1 this become [tex] \frac{1}{1-r} [/tex] which clearly converges by AOL

At r>1 it's similarly obvious why it diverges.

But at r=1, I'm a bit confused. The text say's that it diverges but when I try to work it out I get:

[tex] 1^n -> 1 [/tex]

[tex] S_n = \frac{C*0}{1-1} [/tex]

which measn S_n = 0 which is confusing as it seems to indicate convergence ?

Am I suppose to interpret 0/0 as implying divergence ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2012 #2

sharks

Gold Member

For a geometric series, |r|<1 for convergence. If r has any other value, including 1 and -1, the series diverges.

If you find the limit at r=1, you will get a/(1-1)=a/0=∞, hence the series diverges.

4. Apr 29, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are supposed to avoid 0/0 like the plague. The point is that in the LIMIT as r --> 1, the sum r/(1-r) --> infinity. Of course, you can also write down the sum directly when r = 1, to see that S = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + .... does not have a finite value.

RGV

5. Apr 29, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you should learn from this is "Don't just use formulas thoughtlessly- think!

If r= 1, then the sum is [itex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty a(1)^n= a+ a+ a+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]. The nth partia series is na so that clearly does not converge.

If r= -1, then the sum is [itex]\sum_{i= 0}^\infty a(-1)^n= a- a+ a- a+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]. The nth partial series is a if n is odd, 0 if n is even so, again, that does not converge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook