Divergence of the geometric Series at r=1

In summary, for a geometric series, |r|<1 for convergence. If r has any other value, including 1 and -1, the series diverges. The limit of the sum as r approaches 1 is infinity, and for r=-1, the nth partial sum alternates between a and 0, also indicating divergence. It is important to think critically and not just rely on formulas when determining convergence or divergence.
sid9221
Now for the proof of convergence/divergence of the geometric series we first deduce the Nth partial sum which is given by:

[tex] \frac{r(1-r^n)}{1-r} [/tex]

Now for 0<r<1 this become [tex] \frac{1}{1-r} [/tex] which clearly converges by AOL

At r>1 it's similarly obvious why it diverges.

But at r=1, I'm a bit confused. The text say's that it diverges but when I try to work it out I get:

[tex] 1^n -> 1 [/tex]

[tex] S_n = \frac{C*0}{1-1} [/tex]

which measn S_n = 0 which is confusing as it seems to indicate convergence ?

Am I suppose to interpret 0/0 as implying divergence ?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a geometric series, |r|<1 for convergence. If r has any other value, including 1 and -1, the series diverges.

If you find the limit at r=1, you will get a/(1-1)=a/0=∞, hence the series diverges.

sid9221 said:
Now for the proof of convergence/divergence of the geometric series we first deduce the Nth partial sum which is given by:

[tex] \frac{r(1-r^n)}{1-r} [/tex]

Now for 0<r<1 this become [tex] \frac{1}{1-r} [/tex] which clearly converges by AOL

At r>1 it's similarly obvious why it diverges.

But at r=1, I'm a bit confused. The text say's that it diverges but when I try to work it out I get:

[tex] 1^n -> 1 [/tex]

[tex] S_n = \frac{C*0}{1-1} [/tex]

which measn S_n = 0 which is confusing as it seems to indicate convergence ?

Am I suppose to interpret 0/0 as implying divergence ?

You are supposed to avoid 0/0 like the plague. The point is that in the LIMIT as r --> 1, the sum r/(1-r) --> infinity. Of course, you can also write down the sum directly when r = 1, to see that S = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + ... does not have a finite value.

RGV

What you should learn from this is "Don't just use formulas thoughtlessly- think!

If r= 1, then the sum is [itex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty a(1)^n= a+ a+ a+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]. The nth partia series is na so that clearly does not converge.

If r= -1, then the sum is [itex]\sum_{i= 0}^\infty a(-1)^n= a- a+ a- a+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]. The nth partial series is a if n is odd, 0 if n is even so, again, that does not converge.

1. What is the formula for the divergence of a geometric series at r=1?

The formula for the divergence of a geometric series at r=1 is 1/1-r. This is also known as the harmonic series.

2. Why does a geometric series diverge at r=1?

A geometric series diverges at r=1 because the ratio between each consecutive term is equal to 1, meaning the terms do not approach a specific value as the series continues. This results in the series having an infinite sum.

3. Can a geometric series converge at r=1?

No, a geometric series cannot converge at r=1. As mentioned before, the ratio between consecutive terms is equal to 1, meaning the terms do not approach a specific value and the series has an infinite sum.

4. What is an example of a geometric series that diverges at r=1?

An example of a geometric series that diverges at r=1 is 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + ... (with an infinite number of terms). Each term in the series is equal to 1, and the ratio between consecutive terms is also 1, resulting in an infinite sum of 1 + 1 + 1 + ... = ∞.

5. How is the divergence of a geometric series at r=1 related to the concept of infinity?

The divergence of a geometric series at r=1 is directly related to the concept of infinity. Since the terms in the series do not approach a specific value and the sum is infinite, we can say that the series diverges to infinity. This illustrates the idea that infinity is not a specific number, but rather a concept of endlessness or boundlessness.