1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence Theorem Q

1. Jan 26, 2009 #1
    I need to show that, using Gauss' Theorem (Divergence Theorem), i.e. integration by parts, that:

[itex]\int_V dV e^{-r} \nabla \cdot (\frac{\vec{\hat{r}}}{r^2}) = \int_V dV \frac{e^{-r}}{r^2}[/itex]

any ideas on where to start?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint:The following vector identity should be useful:

[tex]\vec{\nabla}\cdot{f\vec{A}}=f(\vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{A})+\vec{A}\cdot(\vec{\nabla}f)[/tex]

4. Jan 26, 2009 #3
    thanks.
    1, do i set [itex]f=\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex]?
    2, how did you know to do that so quickly?

5. Jan 26, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. No, set [tex]f=e^{-r}[/tex]

2. It's a common theme in many EM derivations.

6. Jan 26, 2009 #5
    ok so it then equals
    [itex] \int_V dV \nabla \cdot (\frac{e^{-r} \vec{\hat{r}}}{r^2}) - \int_V dV (\frac{\vec{\hat{r}}}{r^2}) \cdot (\nabla e^{-r}) = \int_S (\frac{e^{-r} \vec{\hat{r}}}{r^2}) \cdot \vec{n} dS - \int_V dV (\frac{\vec{\hat{r}}}{r^2}) \cdot (\nabla e^{-r}) [/itex]
    My instinct is to do the integral over the surface S using S = sphere of radius a as then [itex]\vec{n}=\vec{\hat{r}} [/itex] and i can get rid of that dot product. but then [itex]dS=4 \pi a^2[/itex] which messes stuff up and also what do I do on the right?

7. Jan 26, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm assuming that the original integral was over all of space, correct?

If so, then your surface integral is over the boundary of all space which is at [tex]r\to\infty[/tex]....what is the value of the integrand there?:wink:

For the second term; Take the gradient of [tex]e^{-r}[/tex] using spherical coords....

8. Jan 26, 2009 #7
    ok. might be getting somewhere now. on the right i took the grad of the exponential term and got [itex] \nabla e^{-r} = -e^{-r} \vec{\hat{r}}[/itex] is that right?
    seems to be so because that causes the integral on the right to simplify substantially to [itex]-\int_V dV (\frac{\vec{\hat{r}}}{r^2}) \cdot (\nabla e^{-r}) = + \int_V dV \frac{e^{-r}}{r^2}[/itex] which is what we're looking for - therefore it appears to just be a matter of showing the integral on the left vanishes?

9. Jan 26, 2009 #8
    indeed it is over all space. i would then imagine it would zero because [itex] e^{-r} \rightarrow 0[/itex] as [itex] r \rightarrow \infty[/itex]. If this is the case, how owuld you recommend I write that in order to be an acceptable answer? Also, I took the grad of the exponential using Cartesians - does that matter?

10. Jan 26, 2009 #9

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Formally, you could start by assuming that your volume is a sphere of radius [itex]a[/itex] and then take the limit as [itex]a[/itex] approaches infinity.

And it doesn't matter that you used Cartesian coords to take the gradient; although it would probably have been quicker to use spherical coords.

11. Jan 26, 2009 #10
    ok
    but then
    [itex]\int_S (\frac{e^{-r} \vec{\hat{r}}}{r^2}) \cdot \vec{n} dS = \int_S (\frac{e^{-r} \vec{\hat{r}} \cdot \vec{\hat{r}}}{r^2}) dS= \frac{e^{-r}}{r^2} 4 \pi a^2 [/itex]
    if i take the limit as [itex]a \rightarrow \infty [/itex] i get [itex]\infty[/itex]

12. Jan 26, 2009 #11
    unless i take [itex]dS=4 \pi r^2[/itex] and then the intergal becomes [itex]4 \pi e^{-r} [/itex] and then the limit as [itex]r \rightarrow \infty [/itex] would be 0. Any advice? Cheers.

13. Jan 26, 2009 #12

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Along the surface, [itex]r=a[/itex].

14. Jan 26, 2009 #13
    i dont understand what you mean there sorry

15. Jan 26, 2009 #14
    actually surely if i integrate over a sphere of radius a, [itex]dS=a^2 \sin{\theta} d\theta d\phi [/itex]?

in which case this integral becomes [itex]\int_S \frac{e^{-r} a^2}{r^2} \sin{\theta} d\theta d\phi = 4 \pi \frac{a^2}{r^2} e^{-r} [/itex]

would i then let a or r go to infinity, or is this all complete bollocks? HELP im really confused now! arghhhh!

16. Jan 26, 2009 #15

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]r[/itex] is the distance from the origin to the infinitesimal area element [itex]dS[/itex]. Since the entire surface is a distance [itex]a[/itex] from the origin, that means that [itex]r=a[/itex] everywhere on the surface.

[tex]\implies \int_S \frac{e^{-r}}{r^2}dS=\int_S \frac{e^{-a}}{a^2} dS =\int_S \frac{e^{-a} a^2}{a^2} \sin{\theta} d\theta d\phi = 4 \pi e^{-a} [/tex]

17. Jan 27, 2009 #16
    cheers buddy!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?