Diverse Ion effect and Activity coefficients problem

In summary, the question asks for the maximum amount of Ba(IO3)2 that can be dissolved in a 0.100M KIO3 solution at 25C, using activity coefficients. The Ksp for Ba(IO3)2 is given as 1.57E-9. Using the equation Ksp = (concentration) * (activity coefficient), the activity coefficients for Ba2+ and IO3- are found to be 0.38 and 0.775, respectively. Using these values, an ICE table is set up and solved for the concentration of Ba(IO3)2. However, there are three possible solutions for X, making it difficult to determine the exact concentration. Assistance would be appreciated.
higherme
The question:

How many grams of Ba(IO3)2 can be dissolved in 700mL of a 0.100M KIO3 solution at 25C? use activity coefficients for this. (Ksp of Ba(IO3)2 =1.57E-9)

my answer:

I used this equation: Ksp = (concentration) * (activity coefficient)

well i found out that my ionic strength of KIO3 is 0.100M and from a chart, i found the respective activity coeff for Ba2+ and IO3-.
Ba2+ ---> 0.38
IO3^- ----> 0.775

Ba(IO3)2 <----> Ba2+ + 2IO3^-
I 0 x 0.100M
C +x +2x
E x 0.100M+2x

using the equation above,
Ksp = [Ba2+]*(activity coeff of Ba) * [IO3^-]^2 * (activity coeff of IO3^-)^2
1.57E-9 = (x)(0.38) * (0.100+2x)^2 * (0.775)^2

so i solve for X and that would be the concentration of Ba(IO3)2 in mol/L

BUT, to solve for X, i found it complicated because there would be 3 solutions for X aren't there?? since it's X^3... so i am confused on what to do.

help appreciated, Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
there above numbers below the balanced equation is supposed to be an ICE table

I understand your confusion about the multiple solutions for X in this problem. This is due to the diverse ion effect, which affects the solubility of a compound in a solution containing different ions. In this case, the presence of K+ ions from the KIO3 solution can affect the solubility of Ba(IO3)2 and result in multiple solutions for X.

To solve this problem, you can use an iterative approach. Start by assuming a value for X and calculate the activity coefficients for Ba2+ and IO3- using the assumed value. Then, use these activity coefficients to calculate a new value for X. Repeat this process until you get a consistent value for X that satisfies the equation.

Alternatively, you can also use a computer program or spreadsheet to solve this problem by using the "solver" function to find the appropriate value for X that satisfies the equation.

In conclusion, the diverse ion effect and activity coefficients play a crucial role in determining the solubility of a compound in a solution. By considering these factors, we can accurately calculate the amount of Ba(IO3)2 that can be dissolved in a given solution of KIO3 at a specific temperature.

1. What is the Diverse Ion Effect?

The Diverse Ion Effect refers to the phenomenon where the presence of multiple types of ions in a solution affects the activity coefficients of each ion. This can lead to deviations from ideal behavior and affect the overall concentration and behavior of the solution.

2. Why are activity coefficients important in understanding the Diverse Ion Effect?

Activity coefficients are important because they represent the deviation from ideal behavior in a solution. In the context of the Diverse Ion Effect, activity coefficients can help us understand how the presence of multiple ions affects the behavior of each individual ion in the solution.

3. How do concentration and charge affect the Diverse Ion Effect?

The concentration and charge of ions in a solution can greatly impact the Diverse Ion Effect. Higher concentrations of ions can lead to stronger interactions between ions, while ions with higher charges can have a greater influence on the overall behavior of the solution.

4. How does the Diverse Ion Effect impact biological systems?

In biological systems, the Diverse Ion Effect can have significant effects on the behavior of ions and their interactions with molecules and proteins. This can affect processes such as enzyme activity, cell signaling, and membrane transport.

5. Can the Diverse Ion Effect be predicted and controlled?

While the Diverse Ion Effect is a complex phenomenon, it can be predicted and controlled to some extent through the use of activity coefficients and equations such as Debye-Hückel theory. However, the exact behavior of diverse ions in a solution can be difficult to predict and may require experimental data.