Thermodynamics problem- margules activity coefficients

In summary, the conversation is about finding the activity coefficients of benzene and water in a liquid solution with a composition of 20 and 80 mol%, which is starting to form ice crystals. The speaker suggests using the 1 parameter Margules activity coefficient model and equating the chemical potential of the solid phase (ice) to the liquid solution in order to find the activity coefficient. They also mention using the enthalpy and normal freezing temperatures of both components in their pure form to calculate the activity coefficient. They suggest looking into chapters 11-15 of the book "Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics" by Smith and van Ness for further guidance.
adamb222
I'm trying to find the activity coefficients of benzene and water in the liquid phase, they are in a solution of composition 20 and 80mol% which is beginning to form ice crystals.

I know I need to use the 1 parameter margules activity coefficient model
i.e. ln (gamma) = A x^2
and I have enthalpy and normal freezing temperatures of both the components in the pure form.

I'm thinking of equating the chemical potential of the solid phase (ice) to the liquid solution since theyre in equilibrium. I've been given the enthalpy of melting and normal freezing points of both benzene and water. (pure solutions). So i though if i could somehow get enthalpy into my equation as well as the difference between the temperatures (ice -20 and normal freezing point 0) into the equation I could work out the activity coefficient somehow, since that would be in the excess gibbs energy.

So a rough equation would look something like this ln (x[tex]\gamma[/tex]) = [tex]\mu[/tex]-[tex]\mu[/tex] = [tex]\Delta[/tex]G

so the [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\mu[/tex] needs to be converted into a function that includes enthalpy and the temperatures somehow.

Let me know if you think this is the right way to go about it, and if so how to complete the formula?

Engineering news on Phys.org
See Chapters 11-15 of Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics by Smith and van Ness to investigate approaches for doing this.

1. What are activity coefficients in thermodynamics?

Activity coefficients in thermodynamics are dimensionless quantities that measure the deviation of a solution's properties from those of an ideal solution. They take into account the interactions between molecules in a non-ideal solution and are used to correct for these deviations in thermodynamic calculations.

2. How are Margules activity coefficients calculated?

Margules activity coefficients are calculated using the Margules equation, which takes into account the composition of the solution and the specific interactions between the molecules in the solution. The equation is based on the assumption that the excess Gibbs free energy of a solution can be expressed as a polynomial in the mole fractions of the components.

3. What is the significance of Margules activity coefficients in thermodynamics?

Margules activity coefficients are important in thermodynamics because they provide a way to incorporate non-ideality into calculations. They allow for a more accurate prediction of the behavior of solutions, especially at high concentrations and in mixtures with multiple components.

4. How do Margules activity coefficients affect phase equilibrium calculations?

Margules activity coefficients are used in phase equilibrium calculations to account for the non-ideality of solutions. They help determine the composition and behavior of different phases in a solution. In particular, they are important in predicting the behavior of liquid-liquid phase equilibria in mixtures.

5. Can Margules activity coefficients be negative?

Yes, Margules activity coefficients can be negative. This indicates that the interactions between the molecules in the solution are stronger than in an ideal solution. Negative activity coefficients are more common in mixtures with large differences in molecular size or polarity, and they can have a significant impact on the overall behavior of the solution.