Divide by one digit numbers by two digit numbers, and add to get 1

• Thread starter K Sengupta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, to divide a one digit number by a two digit number, you would write the numbers in a division format and divide the one digit number into the first digit of the two digit number, bringing down any remaining digits and repeating the process until there are no more digits left. An example of this would be dividing 6 by 25, which would result in a quotient of 0.24. The purpose of dividing a one digit number by a two digit number is to find the quotient or answer to a division problem, which can be useful in various mathematical and scientific calculations. To add the quotient to get 1, you would first find the quotient and then subtract it from 1. The significance of getting 1 when dividing
K Sengupta
Substitute each of the letters by a different decimal digit from 1 to 9 to satisfy this cryptarithmetic equation:

A/(BC) + D/(EF) + G/(HI) = 1

where, each of BC, EF and HI represents a two digit positive integer.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is my answer! [edit and its wrong]
8/16 + 9/27 + 5/30 damn just realized you can't have "0"

after 15 mins i cannot find a solution, and am starting to believe there isn't one!

Last edited:
phlegmy said:
after 15 mins i cannot find a solution, and am starting to believe there isn't one!

It's possible, but it ain't pretty. As in, 2 of the fractions you'll need aren't reducible to common things like 1/3 or 1/8, etc. The other fraction's pretty normal.

DaveE

oh man... i was pretty close to getting this right... i was on the right track at least.. but then i got pissed and looked it up instead.. good problem!

I got this one:
5/34 + 7/68 + 9/12
:smile:

1. How do you divide a one digit number by a two digit number?

To divide a one digit number by a two digit number, you would first write the two numbers in a division format with the one digit number on top and the two digit number on the bottom. Then, you would divide the one digit number into the first digit of the two digit number. If there is a remainder, you would bring down the next digit of the two digit number and continue dividing until there are no more digits left.

2. Can you provide an example of dividing a one digit number by a two digit number?

Yes, for example, if you wanted to divide 6 by 25, you would write it as 6 ÷ 25. Then, you would divide 6 into 2, which equals 0 with a remainder of 6. You would then bring down the next digit of 5 and divide 6 into 25, which equals 4 with no remainder. Therefore, 6 ÷ 25 = 0.24.

3. What is the purpose of dividing a one digit number by a two digit number?

The purpose of dividing a one digit number by a two digit number is to find the quotient or answer to a division problem. It is used in various mathematical and scientific calculations and can also help determine ratios and rates.

4. How do you add the quotient to get 1?

To add the quotient to get 1, you would first need to find the quotient by dividing the one digit number by the two digit number. Then, you would subtract the quotient from 1 to get the number that needs to be added to the quotient to equal 1.

5. Can you explain the significance of getting 1 when dividing a one digit number by a two digit number and adding?

The significance of getting 1 when dividing a one digit number by a two digit number and adding is that it shows the relationship between the two numbers. It can also be used to check the accuracy of the division calculation. If the answer is not 1, it indicates that an error was made in the calculation.