1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divisibility Proof (Abstract Algebra)

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

let a belong to N and x,r belong to Z use the definition of divisibility along with the axioms of Integers to prove that IF 5|a and 15|(2ax+r) then 5|r

2. Relevant equations How do I continue the proof??

3. The attempt at a solution So I have: let a belong to N and x,r belong to Z. Assume 5|a and 15|(2ax+r). Then there is s,t belonging to Z such that a=5s and (2ax+r)=3(5T).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2009 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How does the definition apply to 5|r? Can you get the form required to show it?

4. Mar 25, 2009 #3
    It is an if then proof with 5|r being what you are trying to prove.

5. Mar 25, 2009 #4
    Use the fact that 5|a to substitute.

6. Mar 25, 2009 #5

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes of course but you must end up with your next to last step being the defining form of 5|r and the last step being "thus 5|r".

You almost have it. Play with what you have and what you need and see if you can connect the two. I can tell you but the point of you going through the proof is you going through the proof.

7. Mar 25, 2009 #6
    I now have this so
    r=15t-2ax=
    15t-2(5s)x=
    5(3T)-5(2s)x=
    5(3t-2sx)=r
    since 3t-2sx belongs to Z we have 5|r

does that make sense??

8. Mar 25, 2009 #7
    Looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook